CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

Noa

I have been here for over a month now, I do online classes with my school who understand. I also help out in the café downstairs, taking orders and everything and it's actually quite fun.

I'm sitting on one of the chairs at the table with my laptop doing some work, English to be exact. My mum took my phone before she left to go home, so I haven't spoken to anyone from home in over a month, the only contacts I have on my laptop are my parents.

"Bonjour, cette chaise est-elle prise? (Hello, is this chair taken?)" A girl around my age asks me and I look up.

"Non, asseyez-vous si vous voulez. (No, sit down if you want.)" I answer and she smiles at me and takes a seat in the chair in front, "English?"

"Yes, it's my second language so it might not be perfect," The girl laughs and I chuckle and save my work, "I'm Emmeline, you can call me Em if you'd like."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Noa." I smile and shake her hand which she offered out, "You look familiar."

"I come here as much as I can, this place has amazing food!" She answers and I take in her features. She has light brown hair, hazel eyes, soft lips, and a white bow tied in her hair. And she is dressed in a white dress with boots and a grey cardigan, "I've noticed you work here?"

"When I am asked to I work here, my grandparents own the place," I answer and she hums with a raised brow.

"How come I haven't seen you around earlier this year? I do come here almost every day when I have a reason to, other than the food." She questions as she looks down at the menu.

"I'm just here for a few months, family problems." I look down at the laptop and hand in the completed work once I finish the sentence and then close the laptop, "What would you like to eat?"

"Hmm, Un toastie au jambon et au fromage et un smoothie à l'ananas et à la mangue, s'il vous plaît. (A ham and cheese toastie and a pineapple and mango smoothie, please.)" She orders and I smile and nod.

"Je préparerai le repas demandé. S'il vous plaît, donnez-moi une minute, je vous répondrai lorsque tout sera terminé. (I will prepare the requested meal. Please give me a minute, I'll get back to you when everything is finished.)" I respond and she smiles.

"You're French is amazing." She compliments and I thank her, "I shall be waiting."

I leave the table with the laptop in hand, as I go behind the counter, I place my laptop on the chair at the back and then head into the kitchen to see a few of the chefs working.

I take some bread, ham and cheese and put it all into the toastie maker and let that cook. I then walk over to the fridge where I pick out a few mangos and slices of pineapple, and ice then go towards the blender. I blend up the ice first so it's crushed and then pour that into a cup.

I then blend up the fruit till they mix together and turn into a liquid, I add the ice into the mixture and blend it all. Once finished, I pour some ice into a cup and then the smoothie in.

The drink stays on the side as I collect the toastie and place it onto a plate and take the smoothie too.

I leave the kitchen and see the girl already looking at me, she smiles as I give her the food she requested and I also smile.

"Enjoy, it was my first smoothie so I apologise if it turned out differently than usual," I whisper and she chuckles.

"I'm sure it's delicious." She takes a sip from the drink and she looks at me, "That was amazing."

I take a seat in front of her, and we talk for a few hours about interests, families, and favourite places, she taught me some French and I taught her some English. In the end, I had her number and her promise to come again tomorrow.

"I shall see you later, Noa. It's an honour meeting you after so long." She looks at me as she stands in front of me, I'm inside and she is outside.

"The honour is mine, have a good day." I smile and she returns the smile and I watch her walk down the street.

I turn back around towards the cafe and walk over to the door that leads upstairs towards my room. I walk up the stairs, to the third floor and then open up the door, my grandparents sleep on the floor below so they can reach the cafe quicker.

My bedroom is beautiful, I was allowed to decorate it with old furniture and it's turned out beautifully.

Right now it's nearly two p.m., and the best thing in mind is to take a nap. So that's my plan.