CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

Zara

It's very late, around two a.m. Her arms are wrapped around my waist and she holds onto me like she never wants to let me go. But she and I both know I have to go.

I carefully untangle myself from the girl's arms, then step out from the bed and pull the duvet back over her shoulder.

"I love you," I whisper and kiss her forehead as the tears fill my eyes and I put on a hoodie and get my phone from the nightstand.

I then head out of the window and around the house to my car, by the time I am sitting in my car, I realise what has happened. We are over, she's at a low point and I left her. But she would prefer me gone in the morning so she won't have any more pain.

The drive home was difficult, I didn't go home though. I turned around and went to Juliette's home because I knew she would be awake.

I knock on her window since she's on the first floor and I see the curtain open and she opens the window.

"What's wrong and why are you awake?" She asks and I laugh as I wipe my tears and climb in through the window just to see Karen sitting in her bed looking at the screen.

"A breakup and I just left her house and now I want to cry again," I explain and she pulls me into her arms.

"You guys broke up?!" Karen gasps and I look over at her, "Oh yeah I forgot."

"Love, I said keep it quiet." Juliette sighs and the girl whispers an apology.

She knew?

"You knew it was going to happen?" I question and the girl looks at me and pauses, "Juliette, did you know?"

"Yes, she told me earlier today." She replies and I turn around and head back to the window, "Zara, I am sorry!"

"If anyone asks, I am busy for the rest of the month." I then climb from the window and head back to my car. No way just happened.

~~~

There's a cold breeze outside and to say we are covered in layers of clothes. It's still freezing. It's been a week since the breakup and I haven't seen her around. Her parents say she's not attending school but she will be back next week, which is now.

"Come on, stop being a wuss." Juliette drags me over to the table and I scoff. I forgave her long ago because you can't actually be mad at a best friend for too long because you know that the two of you are basically bored without one another's company.

"I was about to get my breakfast, thank you very much." I sigh and she passes me a slice of toast. I smile and take a bite as I sit down. Gosh, I love winter.

After a few minutes, the familiar car drives into the car park and my heart sinks to my stomach as I take in a sharp breath. Please be here.

It feels like forever passes for the door to open. it was only a minute but it happens eventually. And out walked the girl who makes my heart flutter but my stomach drop.

She looks at me, I look at her and I see her lips rise into a small smile but she lowers her head quite quickly. The girl walks over with her brother but he walks away to his friends.

"Noa where have you been?!" Quinn pulls her into a hug and she laughs but all I can hear is hurt. She's hurt.

"I've been busy, sorry." She answers and the team all hugs her. It's only been a week, imagine what it was like when she was gone for four months.

The girls hug for a while until she pulls away and I see the bags under her eyes, her bloodshot eyes and how she hasn't put any makeup on today. She looks like she has not had any sleep lately.

She walks over and I hug her, she holds onto me and there's a wave of emotion that comes over us both and her grip tightens on me.

"Are you okay?" I whisper and she hums, "You look tired."

"I haven't had much sleep lately, but I will be okay." She whispers and I nod, "Are you okay?"

"There's been better days." I admit and she agrees and she then pulls away and looks at me, "Do you need makeup?"

"It will be appreciated." She smiles and I open up my bag and give her a small back and she thanks me and applies some makeup. Including the lipgloss she gave me.

I feel the tears wanting to fall again, she looks okay but then she doesn't at the same time.

"Noa come over here." Blair calls out and she returns the bag before walking over to the girl, "How are you?"

I look away as I look at Juliette, she sees me which means she also sees the tears about to fall. Her eyes soften and she hugs me and soothingly rubs my back to calm me down.

"She will come back to you soon, just wait." She whispers and I hum as a tear falls but I wipe it before anything else happens, "Give her space."

Space. It's going to repeat all over again, a year will pass and then we will come back to one another.

But the way she is looking over at me makes me rethink everything, maybe it won't be too long.