CHAPTER NINETEEN

Noa

"The Jones are coming over for dinner tonight, we have things to discuss, be on your best behaviour please." Our mum mentions to me and my brother as we sit in the kitchen whilst she prepares some lobster, salad, and a side for pasta if someone decides they don't want lobster last minute.

"I'm going out with the team," Caden announced and he left the counter but our mother stopped him.

"You're grounded remember? You can not leave this house till next week unless it's school." She says and he groans and sits back down at the table, "Come help me with food."

My phone vibrates in my pocket a few times so I check and see that Zara is calling me. I quickly leave the kitchen and into the living room where I answer.

"Hey, is everything okay?" I ask and there's a few seconds of silence on the other end of the line before there's shuffling like the phone is getting picked up, "Hello?"

"Shit, hey! How long have you been on the phone for?" She questions , completely unaware of my presence and then there's silence, "Okay not too long."

"Why'd you call?" I ask and she laughs nervously.

"I'm having an outfit crisis, you are better than me at this help me out please." She responds and I laugh as I feel myself smiling.

"Are you trying to impress someone with style?" I grin and I can hear her eyes roll and she scoffs.

"No, I just want to look nice." She sighs and that was a "yes" to my question which makes me smile to myself, "Help me out?"

"Wear something simple, a dress or whatever. Warm colours to match but don't let it clash with your skin, I would say red or black." I answer, clearly not as good as she thinks I am with styling clothes but she hums and I hear the sound of coat hangers moving along a rail.

"Pick a number from one to three." She says and I pick one, she thanks me before ending the call but then calls me seconds later.

"Should I bring a bag, wear a hat or whatever?" She asks and I laugh and shake my head.

"No need to get so fancy now. just bring whatever feels comfortable." I say and she thanks me again before there's a pause, "Anything else?"

"Hair."

"Natural."

"Okay, thank you. Bye now."

The call ended and I smiled down at the floor as I take a deep breath and turn back to the others and head over to the kitchen.

She's so wanting to impress.

"Who was that? You seem smiley." My mother asks and I take a seat and eat a few pieces of watermelon.

"Somebody." I grin and she looks at me with a smile, "She's worried about what to wear."

"She could wear anything with that body of hers. It will be off later anyway." My brother whispers but we all hear and I push the chair back.

"Noa don't." My mum warns and I look at the boy who looks at me with a smirk, "Caden upstairs! Grounded for an extra week!"

His face was filled with nothing but anger, he left with a groan and stormed up to his room.

"He needs serious help with the way he sees girls," I say and the woman laughs quietly and agrees.

"So, you and Zara? Have you made a move yet? You guys did have a moment outside the other night." My mother looks at me with a grin as she holds a wooden spoon that she used for the pan.

"What?! And no I haven't." My eyes widen as my heart races. How could she know about the moment we had? I mean, I wouldn't call it a moment but it was definitely something. Anyone would say it was at least something.

"We waited a few minutes before Loren walked out of the door. We saw the two of you through the window and it looked like something so we let it happen and waited an extra four minutes for you guys." The woman explains and I sink my head into my hands and prompt myself up against the counter.

"Don't tell anyone about that, I didn't know you were watching." I plead and she held out her pinkie and we made a pinky promise which makes me smile.

"I promise."