Chapter Eight(Coffee with a Stranger)

Hello!:) Writer's block here...ick this is disgusting. But, I do somehow enjoy this chapter so I hope you do too! The spacing is weird on my works, not sure if it'll be when I publish it and if it is I'm sorry:/ I'll try to just write on here for now on.Tell me what you think about this, characters, anything:) Always up for advice or just feedback:)

(Coffee with a Stranger)  

Lilly stood in front of me, her long brown hair pulled messily into a knot on the top of her head. I waited behind, listening to her order the usual two latté’s. The small coffee shop had a warm feel with its dark wooden walls and shining floors. The cashier even had an old cash register with the buttons and knobs sticking out. Lilly handed me my coffee with a questionable look, secretly asking if I was okay. 

   I nodded and pulled at my dark shear tights, bunching beneath my denim folded shorts. Fall was coming and even though California has always seemed to maintain its gorgeous weather, my allergies and body temperature just didn’t seem to keep up. I picked out my long curled hair from beneath my Aztec cotton sweater, feeling my white blouse untuck itself from my shorts again.

    She led the way over to a small iron table with a garden design spiraling in the center. I took a seat and fished my phone out of my boot, immediately checking my messages for Andy. Surprisingly he hadn’t sent anything. I was sort of worried for some reason. Okay, not “some reason”, I was worried because of his scars and the fact that it was Andy.

“You didn’t even ask why he cut?” Lilly began, sipping her latté slowly.

“I can barely manage talking to him regularly. You honestly think in that situation I would be able to push the topic further?”

“Just worried about the guy…”

“So am I. But, it’s Andy. I’m pretty sure he can handle himself. At least, I hope he can.”

   The coffee shop fell quiet between our small discussion, the only noise radiating from the other customers seated around the other rod tables and cushioned chairs made of a lilac colored fabric. Lilly looked off to the entrance with the ring of the bell. A slender blonde had walked in, her hair crimped below her ribs. Her emerald eyes met mine and I quickly fixed my gaze along the million of green plants filling the room.

“She’s freaking gorgeous.” Lilly blurted.

“Are you switching teams on me or something?” I joked, still uneasy from the awkward eye contact.

“Shut up. You know I’m a first class whore when it comes to men and boyish human beings. She’s just really pretty. How much you want to bet she’s a bitch?”

“Lilly, just because she’s pretty doesn’t mean she’s like that.” I whispered.

“You’re too sweet. Yes, actually it does.” She laughed.

    I leaned back in my chair a bit and slipped my phone back into my black combat boots. I was contemplating on sneaking another look at the Barbie doll that had just walked in here or to just continue my boring coffee sipping. The first choice won the race and I slowly maneuvered my gaze to where she was seated next to a broad shouldered man. His body was dressed in a pair of rip faded blue jeans with a white button down hidden beneath a large ebony overcoat. Lilly and I were both staring now and if it weren’t for her giant date, she would’ve caught onto our stalker stare.

“That guy looks familiar.” Lilly hissed behind me.

  I looked back in confusion. How could he had looked familiar. Had she dated him before or something? I turned back to the couple, noticing the long line of scars running through his brown shaved head. Okay, so he was familiar. What was Devin doing here with the Barbie anyway?