turmoil

LEO==============02/06/2002 - 6:30amLa Castellana Safe HouseColombia==============

LEO
==============
02/06/2002 - 6:30am
La Castellana Safe House
Colombia
==============

Despite the fact I've spent my night sitting upright against a bed pole, sleep did manage to consume me for a little while.

My eyes scan the room, everyone else is still deep in their slumber; only visible by the small cracks of dawn seeping through the window boards. One particular ray of sunshine settles itself on Nova's face.

I can't help but stare for a few seconds. Of course not in an admirable way, but rather how peaceful she looks when she's not being a stubborn and annoying.

Her usual, harshly engrained lines of intensity have softened around her features. If I didn't know her, I'd think she was just an innocent young woman; the type you'd see in an advertisement or down at your local bar.

Looks can be deceiving though, since I know very well that she has a heart of steel.

Well I think so, anyway.

As much as I hate to think about it, the idea of her past intrigues me. She's holding her cards right against her chest.

She said it herself, that I'm quite literally 'the last person' she'd speak to about her past.

Still, just by looking at her, she is the last person you'd expect to be working as a special-op. Why the fuck is she in this field? Surely her past can't have been so fucked up that she went this off of the rails.

Then again, who am I to judge?

Everyone is awake by now, the cracks of dawn seeping fully through the wood panels boarding up the windows, flowing throughout the room. Rosa is next to Nova, unravelling the bandage around her thigh to change it.

I sit and organise my guns, eavesdropping on their conversation.

"You're lucky it didn't nick your artery. There was enough blood as it was." Rosa mumbles, unwrapping the last of the bandage. I glimpse over at Nova who looks completely unimpressed with the whole situation.

"Any idea how long it will take to heal?" She questions, looking at the stitched-up gash with a grimace.

"The surface wound will heal in about a week since we've stitched it. It was pretty lodged in there, however. There'll probably be discomfort for a little while. Just try and avoid putting too much pressure on it." Rosa replies softly, taking some antiseptic and wiping it across the stitches.

Nova nods slowly, raising her leg slightly so Rosa can wrap a new bandage flush around her thigh. Mulvey heads over to talk to her. Lowe, Banksy and Devlin are being checked over by Elijah, getting their bullet-grazes cleaned.

The telephone we've got connected in the room starts to ring, turning everyone's heads in unison.

I stand quickly and pick up, North's voice cackles through the other end of the line.