queensland

NOVA===============28/11/2003Wide Bay Burnett, Queensland================

NOVA
===============
28/11/2003
Wide Bay Burnett,
Queensland
================

I scream.

I scream so fucking loud that the long paned windows almost shatter.

It's terrifying.

Dad comes sprinting into the room with sparks flying from his heels, "Novella?! What's going on?"

"That! Get it out!" I hiss, pointing at the monstrosity of a 'spider' crawling across the quartz floor. He erupts into laughter, shaking his head.

"'Ya still haven't gotten used to 'em? It's just a little old huntsman," he chuckles, leaving to grab a bowl from the kitchen.

"Little?!" I blurt.

It's legs crawl practically above it's body, long and inhumane. It looks mangled.

Similar to how Nicholas looked when I launched him from the roof of Hotel Isabel.

Dad reappears, placing a significantly large bowl over the spider and sliding a newspaper underneath it.

"See? It ain't hard, honey. I'll be damned, all that training I gave you as a kiddo and 'ya scared of a darn spider," he grins, standing up as I follow him out of into the corridor.

"We're 'gonna eat lunch in the back yard," he says, walking towards the patio doors that are wide open to allow in the summer breeze, "Calysta wants to braid 'ya hair, maybe get a tie," he gestures to the stairs.

"Great, I'll come and help set the table in a minute!" I nod, jogging upstairs to grab a scrunchie. I pass by the pictures on the wall, the professional photo shoots of Dad, Debbie and Benny and Calysta, her kids.

I can't exactly be offended that I'm not on any of them.

Benny is only ten, Calysta is fourteen. They're both such sweet kids, turns out they enjoy the idea of having me as an 'older sister'.

I stride into the spare bedroom, claimed as my own whilst I'm here. I catch a glimpse of myself in the floor-length mirror.

It's a sight I won't get used to. A green summer dress, cut just low enough to conceal the nasty scar on my thigh. I can't remember the last time I wore a dress before Australia, I've been glued in cargos for what feels like forever.

Even my face looks healthy. Maybe it's the fact I've spent almost all-day every-day in the blazing sun, or maybe it's the fact that Calysta constantly insists on doing my makeup.

Queensland is beautiful. Debbie has a great job, meaning everybody gets the perks of a large house on the coast of Wide Bay Burnett.

It's where I've found serenity during the nights, feeling the silky golden sand beneath my feet as I watch the sun set into it's array of pinks and purples.