hostage

NOVA============31/01/2003Panay, The Philippines============

NOVA
============
31/01/2003
Panay, The Philippines
============

I've lost my fucking Smith & Wesson.

I've been looking everywhere for it; anywhere I can think. I've been tearing this damn base apart like a scavenger.

I must have lost it during the whole ordeal with Jed, that was the last place I had it. It's probably still laying on the forest floor somewhere.

The thought of having to complete this operation without it rubs me up the wrong way, as though I've lost a part of me. Call me dramatic, but that was one damn important gun to me. My lucky charm.

I groan out loud and run my hands through my hair in frustration, causing Tara to look over at me and frown.

"Still haven't found it?" She sighs, shaking her head.

"Nope, it must still be in the forest. I guess that's the end of an era," I mumble irritatedly, sitting down on my bunk.

"Aren't you meant to be planning the operation with Leo?" She tilts her head.

"I was, but I'm not talking to him at the minute. He made a jackass comment a few days ago that really pissed me off," I murmur, "Banksy is planning it with him instead."

"What did he say?" She asks, taking a seat beside me.

"Something about 'how I was an idiot in thinking going to the woods with Jed was a good idea'." I gesture my fingers into quotation marks, shaking my head.

Tara instantly furrows her eyebrows. "Seriously? What a shitty thing to say, you considered Jed a friend. He could've asked any of us and we would've said yes unsuspectingly."

"I know, but I suppose that's just Leo, always opening his mouth before he thinks." I sigh, looking at my knees, "I can't believe I lost that damn gun."

"We can get you a new one, promise." Tara insists, putting a friendly hand on my shoulder, "It's getting late, we should head to the hall and get some food before the rest of the group wolfs it down." She chuckles, standing up and gesturing for me to come with her.

I push myself up and off of the bunk, following her footsteps out of the barracks.

"So you really lost that ol' thing? Damn, maybe it'll turn up." Dylan shakes his head with a chuckle, shovelling some plain pasta into his mouth.

"Doubt it," I shrug, twisting my fork around my plate.

I've really lost my appetite recently, after the whole 'almost dying' situation.

"Ah come on, Shields! You 'gotta have a little faith. I'll get 'ya a new one." He shoots me a wink, and I can't differentiate between flirtatiousness and friendliness.