steps

NOVA======1987

NOVA
======
1987

"It's time for 'ya to sleep, kiddo." Dad grins as he puts his pistol back into it's case, amused by my irritated expression.

"Don't look at me like that, Novie. You're still a kid at the end of the day," he chuckles, I let out an exaggerated huff.

"Most kids don't lean how to use guns," I mumble, pouting my lips and folding my arms.

He stands up and sighs.

"It's all for your own benefit, kiddo. I know most girls your age have Barbie dolls, but how is a doll going to protect 'ya?" He tilts his head, scruffing the top of my hair.

I yank my head away from him dramatically, he groans for a moment before smirking.

"Alright honey, how about this. What's your favourite gun that I've let 'ya use?" He asks, leaning down to my height with his hands on his knees.

I instantly point to the case of the old pistol.

"That one," I murmur through my pout.

"That old thing, really?" He snickers, I nod.

"Okay, well when you're old enough, I'll let 'ya have that Smith and Wesson. 'Sound like a deal?" He grins.

Despite my efforts to remain serious, I can't help but giggle excitedly at the thought of this new 'toy'. He laughs and extends his hand to the back of my shoulder before leading me towards my bedroom.

"That's my girl. Tomorrow mornin', once you've fed the chickens, I'm going to teach you all 'bout some good techniques to kick ass when you don't have a gun. Does that sound good, kiddo?"

"Yeah, that sounds good Daddy." I smile, climbing into bed.

"Alright sugar, I'll be in my room if 'ya need me in the night." He says softly, leaning down and kissing me on my forehead before walking towards the doorway and resting his hand on the light switch.

"Daddy?" I say quietly before he leaves, he hums.

"Do you think Mommy will ever come back?"

He glances away and into the hall with a small sigh, "I'm sure one day, honey. When she does, she'll be damn pissed if I didn't make 'ya go to bed on time though!" He forces a chuckle.

I nod slightly before pulling the covers over my head, bringing the nearest teddy towards me and wrapping it into an embrace.

"Sweet dreams, kiddo." He flicks off the switch and closes the wooden door with a creak.

================
?/02/2003
Panay, The Philippines
================

I feel something masked right over my mouth and nose, and it damn stinks of melting plastic. I attempt to open my eyes, but it feels like they've been glued shut for an eternity. I feel so fucking heavy, as though every single fibre of my being is restrained.