whiskey

NOVA===============29/02/2003Panay, The Philippines================

NOVA
===============
29/02/2003
Panay, The Philippines
================

"Shields!"

The sound of my surname rings through my ears, whipping my head as I stride out of the barracks with Leo. Luckily for us, Tara and Rosa were both asleep; I don't think they saw us sneaking out.

They're still hidden under some covers, so I doubt anybody else will notice them after the little moment they shared.

North paces over with a serious look on his face, halting in front of us.

"Shields, I just wanted to apologise," he sighs, resting an aging hand down onto my shoulder, "bringing up that sketch out of the blue wasn't my greatest idea."

I raise my eyebrows, I wasn't expecting him to apologise at all. If anything, I put the blame onto myself for having that type of reaction.

"It's fine, there's nothing to apologise for," I force a smile as he pats my shoulder. "Although, it was eerily accurate. Who sketched it?" I ask.

"Ali," Leo grunts from behind me, "he's a damn good artist for a kid, 'can apparently draw any face from his memory."

"Really? That is impressive," I marvel. I would've thought that sketch of the psychopath was drawn by an older professional of many years, not by a teenager.

"Whilst I've got you both again, I wanted to talk about the transportation tomorrow. The flights back will be the same as the ones here. Eagles, Hawks and Owls together; Falcons and Crows separate. Shields, your group will be on the earlier flight, departure at 11am. Hendrix, we leave at 4pm."

We both tense up as reality sinks in.

After tonight, I won't see him again for God knows how long.

"Understood," I mumble before continuing, "what about the hostages?"

"They'll be split into two groups. Handed to the government officials once we touch down, go through the confidentiality agreements of our group." North explains, both of us nodding in unison.

"And the, well, bodies?" I speak quietly, glancing at my feet. It's definitely an uncomfortable topic.

"They'll be transported back with us, Molly has spent the past day organising the air trays. Once we touch down, they'll be moved to a mortuary fitting with their 'cause of death' location." He sighs.

The thought of potentially being on the same flight as our comrades corpses triggers a shiver, ricocheting down my system. I decide not to dig for any more details on that.

"And Abe?" Leo asks.

"Being handed over to the Filipino government tomorrow. Kingston's made an arrangement with them, he will always be on our radar. We ain't just leaving him in the dirt. If there's ever a chance to immigrate him to the US, we will take it. Not that it'd be a much better way of life, he'd have court cases up his ass."