Chapter 36- Lion's Den

Once I decided on my dress, I went back to my office and continued sketching new designs

Once I decided on my dress, I went back to my office and continued sketching new designs. Losing myself in my sketches, morning turned to dusk, leaving me alone in my office. I drop my pencil and massage my head. 

God, headaches are the biggest pain in my ass.

After Elijah though.

I glance up and my eyes widen, knowing I fucked up. It is 9pm and dinner was supposed to be at 7:30pm. I check my phone and remove it from 'Do not Disturb' and see at least 50 missed calls. 

Shit.

I call papa, put it on speaker phone, and pack my shit up. 

"Adriana Esperanza Montez," his voice booms through the phone and I wince, prepared for the lecturing. "Where the hell have you been? Are you okay?"

"Si papa. I am fine. Just got caught up in work. I am sorry, I am headed home right now," I say and head to the elevator.

"Get here fast. We have been waiting," he says and cuts the call. 

The elevator dings and I look up from my phone to see Elijah standing in front of me, dressed in a pair of black slacks, black dress shoes, and a white dress shirt with the first two buttons unbuttoned. 

"Get in," he commands but my traitorous legs refuse to move and I am frozen in place.

"You know I don't like to repeat myself. Let's not make your punishment worse," he says, softly but threateningly.

I gulp and force my legs to move into the elevator, cords pulling tightly in the pit of my stomach, my hands trembling. He doesn't do anything though. He is standing there with his hands tucked in his pockets and doesn't even glare at me much less look at me. The elevator dings and he gestures for me to move first and on shaky legs, I do. I head to my car when we reach the parking lot. 

"Did I tell you to go there?" he asks in a deadly tone and I freeze in my tracks. I slowly turn around and see fury etched into the deep hard lines on his face. 

A sinister smirk appears on his face and in a single stride he reaches me and whispers in my ear, "Let's play a game. If I reach your house first, your punishment is doubled."

"And if I reach first?" I whisper hoarsely.

A dark chuckle leaves his lips as if the idea of me beating him is amusing. "Then you can consider your punishment revoked."

"Deal," I say and separate ways to get into our cars. 

I jump in my Bugatti, very well aware that I have not raced for a long ass time now. I am slightly out of practice. He lines his car directly next to mine and revs his engine. I look at him and he gives me his sinister smile, a promise of death written in it. I smirk and give him a wink. Might as well have some fun. I connect my phone and play my Chase Atlantic playlist. 

We zoom past and onto the empty main road. Huh. Weird. I don't have time to dwell into the emptiness when Elijah flashes past me and I step on the accelerator. We go neck to neck and he looks at me and winks. I narrow my eyes at him and he whizzes past, stepping the accelerator. I look ahead and see the bump, my eyes widen and I pause just in time to allow me to not die. I scowl and put the gear on 5 and drive like a fucking maniac. Elijah looks out his window and I swear his chuckle and he wiggles his fingers at me. I flip him the bird and speed up but it may just be in vain. My house is right there and Elijah parks his car right in front of the gate and I know I have lost. Fuck my life. I park next to him and I signal the guard to open the gates. He goes in and I follow behind him, defeated.

He gets out of his car, lights a cigarette and walks toward my car where I am clutching the wheel as I take him in all his glory. Fuck. My breath stutters in my windpipe and I so badly want to inhale the toxic smoke he is blowing out just to soothe the ache in my chest. He opens my door and pulls me out of the car and takes me into the house and the living room. My family sits there and I gulp looking at their furious faces.

"Before ya'll yell at me. I am sorry but I am used to staying late in the office and I was so focused I didn't realize. I will inform you all. I forgot and I was in the zone. I am sorry," I blabber out and see their faces soften slightly. 

Papa sighs and says, "It's alright, carina. We were just really fucking scared and I think it is the best option that we put a tracker on you."

"I already have a tracker in my necklace. Elijah has access to it."

"But you weren't wearing the necklace today," Elijah points out softly.

My hand goes up to my neck and he is right, I didn't wear the necklace. 

"Your dad is right, baby. We need something more permanent," Elijah says and my heart stops.

"No. I don't want it. Elijah you know it. No. NO! I will not get it in my fucking skin. No way in hell!"

"Hey hey. Firecracker relax. No one is putting anything in your skin," Ricardo says.

"You pinky promise?" I hold out my pinky to him and he locks it with his pinky.

"Ok. What are the options then?"

"We can put a tracker in your phone," Xavier points out.

"Yeah. THat should work," Rafael says.

"Ok. It's decided then. You can go sleep, princesa," papa says.

"Actually, Adriana will come home with me today," Elijah says in his most convincing voice. "Mom actually wanted to talk to her." Oh fuck. He is lying. I am so much shit.

Papa nods, "Go ahead. Be safe."

"Yes papa," I say and follow Elijah out of my house and allowing myself to step into the lion's den. He is one cunning lion.

***End Of Chapter***