Chapter Twenty Six

School passed at the speed of light. It seemed like it was only a few days after we had started that it was suddenly over. Trunks, Nate, Aki and I would all be in fourth grade next year while my brother, Bulla, and Marron would move up to second.

But if we thought that the school year had passed quickly, it was nothing compared to how summer felt. Everyday was filled with some new adventure, whether it was training with our friends and family or wild times with our new human friend. Nate was able to keep up with us, even if it was only in spirit and not actual strength. Not that we actually showed him our true power or told him what we actually were. So far the only person who wasn't a Z-Fighter who knew our secret was Videl. Of course, I'm pretty sure we could count her as one of us now since she had helped us save the world - that, and the fact she and Gohan had announced their engagement to us.

Trunks' and my birthday happened to land on the last weekend before the new school year started. Momma and Bulma had decided to go all out, throwing one of the biggest parties I've ever seen. The cake was ordered from some private dude that Bulma knew from high school, but that was about the only thing that I knew. Our parents made sure that Trunks and I were kept in the dark about pretty much the whole thing.

"This is so ridiculous," I say as my family and I ride over to Capsule Corp in the hover car. Though the car had plenty of room for all of us, Grandpa included, I still felt cramped. I shifted in my seat, pulling at the seat belt. "Why couldn't we have flown?"

"Because Bulma knows you and wanted to make sure that the backyard was kept a surprise for you and Trunks," Gohan answered, looking over his shoulder at me. I frowned slightly, crossing my arms. But I didn't say anything, since I knew that he was right.

"Don't worry, Moon Pie!" Grandpa says. "You'll love it! I know you will!" A small smile broke through my facade. He was right. I knew that whatever Momma and Bulma did, I would love it.

"I just can't believe my little girl is ten already!" Daddy says, laughing and catching my iced blue eyes with his dark ebony ones. "And then Aki, you'll physically be ten as well in December! You all are growing up so fast! Goten, Gohan, you two aren't allowed to get any older!"

"Agreed!" Momma says, crossing her arms. My brothers, cousin and I all shared a look before rolling our eyes.

Finally, we landed in front of Capsule Corp. After we were all out, Momma went around back to get Bulma while the rest of us waited out front. I bounced on the balls of my feet, starting to get impatient.

"Rosey!" I hear Bulla yell. Looking to the front door, I see her, Marron and Trunks all grinning. They all ran out, joining our group on the sidewalk.

"I love your outfit," Marron says. I looked down at the orange skirt with straps that went over a yellow shirt. As usual, my feet were bare.

"Thanks, it was an early birthday present from Videl," I replied, grinning happily.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I watched as Daddy abruptly stood up straight. The other's noticed it as well.

"Dad? What's wrong?" Gohan asked, glancing around us quickly, making sure we weren't suddenly being surrounded.

"It's King Kai," Daddy replies. His head was cocked slightly to the right. I noticed he did this every time he spoke to the Kai, even if he didn't realize it. "He wants me to come to his planet right now. He says it's urgent..."

I felt my heart sink and my stomach tighten. What was so important that King Kai wanted Daddy to leave? And why right now, on my birthday?

As if sensing my distress, Daddy looked over at Trunks and I. "Hey, don't worry! It won't be long! I'm sure it's nothing! After all, King Kai get's worked up easily! Doesn't he, Aki?"