Chapter Twenty Eight

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Trunks and Rosamoona, happy birthday to you!"

Trunks and I sat across from each other at one of the many tables Bulma had set up in the backyard of Capsule Corp. Our friends and family stood around us in a very large circle, singing. When they finished, they waited for us to blow out the candles on the cake, which was centered on the table in front of Trunks and I. And I had to admit, Bulma had really outdone herself with it.

First off, this cake was HUGE. I mean, it had to be for amount of people it was feeding. It was easily five to six feet long, if not more, taking up the majority of the table it sat on. Grandpa was the one who brought it out, and even still it looked like he was having trouble with it. But my favorite part is what was on the cake.

The cake itself was shaped like Shenron, complete with his little antlers and scales. On it, the baker had written me and Trunks' names in bright red block letters that were outlined in yellow. The three O's in my name were replaced with Dragon Balls, each with four stars. Number candles were placed next to our names. Trunks' was blue while mine was orange.

As our families finished singing, I looked at Trunks over the cake. The flames from the candles reflected in his blue eyes and cast a warm glow in his face. He grinned at me and I half smiled back.

'Ready?' He sent me telepathically. I nodded.

'Ready,' I replied.

In unison, Trunks and I took a deep breath and blew out our respective candle, earning a round of applause from our friends and families.

"I hope you two made a good wish!" Videl says as Bulma and Momma take knives and start to cut up the cake. I glanced across the table at Trunks and found that he was already watching me.

'What did you wish for?' I asked him.

'Y'know, same old, same old,' he replied, a small smirk on his lips. 'You?'

'Daddy to come back... He's been gone awfully long for this to be some friendly chat with King Kai... And I don't know how long we can keep lying to Momma... She's really starting to get mad.'

The two of us glanced over at my mother. A scowl was etched onto her face, and I could tell from her jerky movements while she cut the cake that I was right. She was mad at Daddy for not being here, and probably at Goten and the rest of us for covering for him. She wasn't as easily fooled as we sometimes thought her to be.

Trunks didn't say anything as our mothers set down huge slices of cake in front of us. I barely touched mine, poking at it with my fork. I glanced around and watched the others as they ate their slices, laughing and carrying on. At one point my eyes passed over Beerus and Whis, who seemed the be enjoying Earth food a little too much.

"Hey, don't look so glum, Rosa," Gohan says, suddenly beside me and nudging me with his elbow. "It's your birthday after all!"

I didn't have time to answer him before Videl called his name, snagging my older brother's attention. He grinned, nudging me again before going to see what his fiance wanted. I sighed, going back to poking my cake.

Bulla, Marron, Goten, Aki, and Nate took up the seats around Trunks and I as the adults moved away to enjoy their cake. I gave them all a small smile.

"Gohan is right," Marron tells me. "You should act happier!"

I sighed once more. "I know..." I sat up, putting a smile on my face as I took my first bite of cake. "Is it working? Do I look happy now?"

They all laughed. "You'd look better without the icing all over your face," Bulla replies, handing me a napkin. As I take it and begin wiping my face, Whis comes up to us with two plates in his hand.