Chapter Twenty Three

"I hate school," I complained, crossing my arms. I sat on the bus seat in between Bulla and Marron. Trunks, Goten and Aki occupied the seat in front of us. Rowdy elementary kids filled all the other benches, talking loudly and even throwing paper at each other.

"So according to what you told me, you go to this place everyday for twelve years to learn?" Aki wondered, her golden eyes curious. "Why? Why can't Uncle Kakarot, Aunt Chi-Chi, Vegeta or Bulma teach us? Or even your parents, Marron?"

"Because a lot of kids' parents are at work and don't have time to teach their kids," Marron replied. "'Sides, its not so bad! You get to make friends! Moon's just being a sour pus."

"It wouldn't be as bad if we didn't have to wear these stupid uniforms," I replied, picking at the hem of my skirt. It came down to about my knees with a blue and red plaid design on it. I wore a short sleeved T-shirt that was also blue and red - West City's school colors. All the students that attended the district wore those colors, no matter what your grade. The only difference in the uniforms was for gender and what type of shoe you wanted to wear.

"Well at least they have color," Bulla says to my left. "The ones at Orange Star are really boring!"

That was another thing. Instead of going to Satan City to attend the Orange Star district where Gohan and Videl had gone, Goten, Aki and I were going to West City with Trunks and Bulla. Which, I suppose, I had to be thankful about. I don't know what I would have done if I went somewhere else.

Finally, the old bus pulled into the school's parking lot, screeching to halt behind the line of others. When the doors opened, all the older kids pushed us younger ones out of the way so they could get off first. I sighed. I couldn't wait until we were the older kids...

Once we got inside of the elementary school, my small group headed for the gym where they kept all the kids until the bell rang for classes to start. Right away, we headed over to the giant cork board hanging on the far wall. The school used this to post all kinds of important messages. On the first day it only contained two things. The lunch menu and classroom assignments.

"I have Miss. Miller," Marron says, her blue eyes sliding down list as she looked at the rest of her class. "Figures... Neither Goten or Bulla are in my class."

"Well look on the bright side," Trunks says. "We'll all have lunch together." I smiled, already excited for the midday meal.

"If I'm reading this paper right," Aki says, "then Rose and I have class together with a Mr. Rockler. What subject does he teach?"

"Uh, all of them," Goten says, trying to hide his smile. He was finding amusement out of our cousin's confusion. I rolled my eyes, pushing him slightly. He only smiled larger.

"Well, it looks like Bulla and Goten have Mrs. Hammon," Trunks, taking his turn to look over the list. "And I have Ms. Scotts. Well at least our rooms are right next to each other," the Saiyan says, smiling at me. I grinned back.

When we were done, the six of us moved out of the way for the other kids who needed to check their classes. Voices constantly vibrated off the gym walls, sending snippets of conversations back to where I stood with my friends and family. I caught a few words about the Martial Arts Tournament, but nothing more than that.

After what seemed like forever, the bell finally rang, setting the masses loose into the school. I shared one last fleeting glance with my group before we split ways. Aki made sure to keep close to me, although I caught her looking around in slight awe a few times. I glanced over at Trunks, the two of us sharing a smile.

"Mr. Rockler's room is this way," I say to my cousin as we come to a split in the hallway. She nods, following Trunks and I.

It was only a minute or so after later that we came to our two rooms. From where we stood, Mr. Rockler's room was to the left and Ms. Scotts to the right. Kids were already inside, laughing and carrying on.