Chapter Twenty Seven

"Lord Beerus!" Vegeta exclaims. "Wh-what a surprise!" The cat-man, Beerus, gave a smirk that he tried to pass off as a smile.

"Ahhh, Prince Vegeta of the Saiyans. It's nice to see you again. I find it hard to believe that the last time I saw you, you were just a little kid. My, how time flies."

"Your dad knows these guys?" Nate asks Trunks, leaning closer to him and keeping his voice low.

Trunks gave a tight nod. "Looks like it..."

"Also, what did he mean by 'Prince Vegeta of the Saiyans'? What's a Saiyan? And your dad isn't a prince. I mean, he would have a crown and a fancy outfit if he was."

I tried to think of a good explanation to tell Nate, but thankfully Aki shushed him so we could hear the conversation between Vegeta and this Beerus guy.

"It certainly has been a long time," the Prince agrees. "But, my Lord, may I ask why you're here?"

This time Beerus' smirk looked almost like a smile. He jumped up from the lawn chair, stretching his long limbs. He walked forward, his white haired friend following.

"Tell me, in all your years have you ever heard the term 'Super Saiyan God'?"

"A super saiyan god?" Marron asked, out loud. "What the heck is that?" I shook my head. I didn't have a single idea what that meant.

From Vegeta's reaction, I could see that he didn't either. "Whoa, wait. A Super Saiyan God?" For a moment I could see that he had completely forgot about the party still taking place around him.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kansas lean closer to Momma and Bulma, most likely asking them what a Saiyan was, just like her son had done with us. I mentally cursed these two newcomers. Didn't they know we had a secret to keep?!

"Clearly from your reaction I can tell that's a no," Beerus says, sighing deeply. "Well, I suppose it was worth a shot."

"Well, since your premonition turned out to be wrong as always, why don't we stay and enjoy the festivities? It would be such a waste to head home so soon. Of course, that is if it's alright with Prince Vegeta," the man with the white hair says, looking at Trunks and Bulla's dad.

Vegeta immediately nods. "Of course! You're both more than welcome to stay!"

'He's too afraid to tell them no,' I observed, sending it to my group, once more excluding Nate. The less he knows the more safe he and his mom are.

'But that my dad!' Bulla replies. 'He doesn't get scared of some cat dude!'

'He must have a good reason,' Aki tells her. 'Because Rose is right. Vegeta does appear to be afraid of them.'

The six of us shifted in our seats, the thought making us all uncomfortable. How could Vegeta, Prince of the Saiyans and a formidable warrior, be scared of them? I mean sure, he's changed a lot since our fight with Buu a year ago, but still! These scrawny punks shouldn't get that type of reaction out of him!

"What, may I ask, is this in celebration of?" White haired guy asked, looking around as if the answer were obviously marked.

"My son, Trunks, and Rosamoona, a friend of his, share this day for their birthday."

"My, my, isn't that something," Beerus says. "The prince with a family! Where are they, I'd like to meet them!"

Suddenly, I felt every pair of eyes fall on Trunks and I. I froze slightly, sitting up straighter in my chair.

"Trunks, Rosamoona, come meet our guests," Vegeta says, waving us over to him. I glanced at my table of friends before meeting Trunks' eyes. He nodded slightly, getting off his chair. I followed suit, taking his hand as we walked up to the mysterious duo.