Chapter Nineteen

The beach house or the mansion better to say is the most modern and at the same time comforting place I have ever seen. The mansion is big from the outside, but, as inside, the size seems like doubled. This place is extraordinary, a palace to be exact. Large window walls are facing the view which would be the sea. From the moment I step in, I hit the most luxury stuff ever, long chandelier hanging from the ceiling with spiral staircase leading to the two stories of the house. The living room is stuffed with beautiful sofas and loveseats. The combination of colors gives the place spirit. I fell in love with this place. Now knowing I can't afford nor see anything like this again, I take a good time mesmerizing.

"Mom, dad, they're here," Evelyn shouts through the house. Like any other house, it echoes through the living room and up to the stairs.

One thing I notice is that Andrew didn't hug or kiss Evelyn. The way he acted was more like he's trying to avoid her. Although I saw that drop of caring in his eyes, he acts like he wants to deny it or at least prove wrong to others, or maybe himself.

"Oh, my dears, you are here" Andrew's mother takes her time climbing down the stairs in her high heels. She's wearing a beautiful and well-fit, color to her age sundress. Smiling widely, she approaches us. Seeing how she's dressed, I feel somehow undressed with my work dress. What do they see in me? I mean, come to face it, who goes to her boyfriend's family house with her work outfit?

He's not your boyfriend, silly.

I turn my back to my mind and try to block it. Why should it remind me of truth each time?

As she gets closer, I can see a taste of shock in her eyes, the same thing that was in Evelyn's eyes. Why is everyone so shocked about us? Or maybe it's my outfit that makes them shocked. Damn you Andrew with having your own way.

She hugs her son with planting a kiss on his cheek, then giving me a hug as well. I don't think she notices how tense Andrew was while he was in his mother's arm, but he covers it well.

"Who is here?" a man turns the corner and faces us. The reflection of shock is on his face as well. I'm getting suspected if it's the fact that he is here or the fact I'm with him. Well, after all, Andrew Martinez is full of surprises.

The man gets nearer. From here, I can see he's perhaps in his mid forty. He has brown eyes and gray hair. His face isn't familiar to me, but giving to his 's features, he could be familiar. But to Andrew, no, I don't think so. Wait a minute, according to the websites, Andrew's dad had passed away. So who is he?

Oh, yes. Now I know why his mother's family name isn't the same as Andrew's. It's because her mother has married again after Andrew's father's death. Could it be the reason why he's avoiding his family? How he's tense when he's around his mother? Even if so, why?

Then I remember my own behavior when I heard my mother is getting married to someone else. At first, I lashed out and then after the anger slacked, I came to the fact that my mother didn't love me and she was betraying my father. But further, when I grew up I realize everyone needs to be happy and I can accuse my Mother, for wanting her happiness. If she's happy this way so let her be. And soon after, I regretted my conclusions over my mother.

"Welcome, Andrew. I'm glad you finally came at last." Mr. Harris comes closer and shakes Andrew's hand while his other hand pats on his back. Then he notices me, "and who might be this young lady?"

"My girlfriend," "his girlfriend,"

Andrew and I say at the same time. Mr. Harris shakes my hand as well, while Evelyn starts to laugh,

"Aw, they even speak at the same time," she coos and claps her hands before her chest, giving a romantic drama face to us.

"I'm Nicholas Harris, but you can call me Nick, my dear." I turn my attention back to Mr. Harris. It's really heartwarming to see how his family accepts a new person in their family zone.