Chapter Twenty Five

The impact of each beat in the music makes my head ache and my heart beat's faster. If it wasn't for Andrew's arms around my body holding me in place, I would have probably been on the floor by now. I try to close and open my eyes to gain some power in me, but it doesn't work.

Somehow, Andrew manages to get us both out of those sweaty bodies on the dance floor and in the booth that we were once there. As I fell into my seat, I clutch my head and curse.

"See, that's why I don't want you to drink," Andrew sighs and lets himself have a seat next to me.

"No, you don't want me to drink because of your stupid contract says so, which means you say so and... I don't know where I'm getting with this, you don't even care," without paying attention to my surroundings I speak freely to him. Frankly, there is no one in our booth or near it, so I doubt if anyone heard me. Besides, I don't think if anyone can hear their own voice over the music.

Andrew growls beside me, but he lets this go, which I don't think of it as a usual act Andrew Martinez would do.

"Laura, why do you defy me?" his husky voice makes my body shiver and awake. I look at him, although in the darkness I can see the light in his eyes, I can feel the hunger in his icy blue eyes that keep staring down at me. His power makes me weak, makes me want to swallow down to under the table and hide.

"I'm not, you're the one who keeps me in the dark just so you can shield me from your secrets," I have never said anything deep like this. I blame alcohol once more for the crazy fuzzy thought that seems like have a good connection to my mouth.

Andrew's eyes wide open as he gapes as me as if I said something close to the core or added salt to his long last wound. I know there's something behind this face. I know that he's keeping secrets. I've tried a lot not to dig into his life knowing that it's not my business, but I can stop thinking that he knows something and that thing is killing him inside out, although he doesn't show it, I can read his thought.

God, what is wrong with me? I should not think of it or him at all. It's not like I should really care for him since I'm only his mistress. But when I see this look on his face, the one that looks like haunted or maybe he's afraid of me knowing his flaws.

"Laura," his voice makes me stay still and look deep through his eyes. He shifts next to me and faces me completely. Placing both of his hands on my face and cupping my cheeks in his large hand, he leans in closer to me that I can feel the hot breath of his on my face, "stay away from me as far as you can, I will burn you,"

"I can't," I shake my head, "I'm already burnt by your flames," I whisper.

All the sound of music that was annoying to my ears eases up and vanishes. I can only hear my heart beating fiercely in my chest. His hands on my face seem no longer alien to me, I can feel them as a part of me as if they are burnt into me as if he's burnt into me. I look in his eyes, they are ruthlessly dark. No life can be seen in them except a light of what seems like to be remorse. Why are you so haunted, Andrew?

"Come on, let's get you home," he stands up all of a sudden, almost startles me. Holding his hand around my waist so I won't fall, he takes me out of the club and that beating sound that was getting my head exploded.

Just outside of the club, I see Scott in his usual uniform of black suit is standing confidentially next the SUV vehicle. At the sight of us, or better say the sight of my drunk self, he opens the door and nods his head toward Andrew and me.

"Penthouse, please," Andrew asks Scott who gets behind the wheel immediately. Helping me to get into the car, Andrew sits in after me.

The minute we get away from the club and into the long latest traffic in LA, I feel my head getting heavier and harder for me to keep my eyes open. So I let my head rest, comfortably on Andrew's shoulder. His cologne is a drug for my poor headache and soon it becomes a mute lullaby and makes me sleep.