Chapter One ✓

(Edited by Mia (76ROSE) < thank you so much hun x)

Chapter One:

Emberly's POV:

As I sat on the cold, hard ground of the hospital, all I could think about was my mother. The only pillar I had left in my life. I didn't deserve this, heck she didn't but still life had to be so cruel to us. The doctors informed me that a heart transplant was needed immediately and there were no donors available in this country. All we could do was have some faith and wait for a miracle to happen which was feeling more hopeless after every single second passing. My dad tried to comfort me but we both felt the hopelessness of our situation. Every minute ticking by caused his face to contort into the shattered emotions he felt inside, yet he tried to pull himself together for my sake.

I briefly closed my eyes and all I could think about was my mom's laughing face, all the Christmas's and New Year's we spent together laughing and even crying sometimes. She was supposed to go on holiday to her favourite destination, Malaysia, and I could still vividly remember the day she was packing her bag and having glass after glass of wine and how she kept stroking her chest.

What happened next was something I never wanted to recall ever again. A sudden wave of coldness rushed through my veins making me shiver. Opening my eyes, I glanced over at the clock on the wall and decided to go and speak to one of the doctors on call. As I passed by many wards in the hall, I promised myself to make sure I would never end up in one of those hospital beds. I came to hate the way hospitals looked and smelled.

Calling one of the doctors, I briefly told him my mom's name and her room number. He looked down at the file he was holding and after studying it for couple of minutes, he scanned me from top to bottom and then met my eyes. I consciously positioned one leg over the other and waited for his answer.

"I'm sorry Miss Rae; all you can do is wait." The doctor informed and every vein in my body popped in anger. We had been waiting for two bloody weeks and he was telling us to wait more whilst my mother was suffering?

"Wait?" I scoffed. "Do you really expect me to wait? I'm sorry but please enjoy watching my father and I suffer to the core." My voice grew louder with every word I was saying.

I saw the doctor shift uncomfortably under my deathly glance and he cleared his throat. I agreed I could be pretty scary sometimes when I was angry and I also knew that it wasn't the doctor's fault but at the moment I felt so hopeless and angry. Tears were threatening to spill out, yet I managed to hold them back.

"What's going on here?" someone said from behind us and just by hearing his voice, I could sense the authority and power.

The doctor's eyes literally bulged out. He kept opening and closing his mouth. If I hadn't been in this situation I would've laughed at his reaction. Turning around, I was met with a guy in his 40's or maybe 50's. I was never good at guessing peoples ages anyway. I was what everyone called 'oblivious' to everything whether it was name or age. He was dressed in a sleek, creaseless, black suit and was indeed handsome. His hair was cut in a neat style and it had a hint of grey. Just by looking at him and hearing his voice I could tell he belonged to the higher class of society. I mean everything about him was screaming money! I swear to god I wasn't lying. I even saw a Rolex watch on his wrist.

"Mr Raymond.... Nothing.... Just dealing with a patient..." he stuttered and I had a strong urge to roll my eyes at him.

"What's the matter young lady?" he asked in his deep voice. If I were totally into older guys I would've found him attractive but after remembering my mother's slaps when I told her I found my biology teacher sexy, I swore to never like a guy way older than me, well, never to admit or even think about it.

"My mom... she needs an urgent heart transplant and they can't find a match." I tried to shake off the tremble in my voice.

He studied me for a minute making me feel incredibly awkward under his scrutinising look. What was with everyone staring at me today? Sure, I wasn't at my best but I wasn't at my worse either.

"Doctor Sullivan can I have a word with you? Alone please." He obediently followed him and they began a whispered conversation. After a minute, the rich guy whose name I had already forgotten, approached me.

"Miss...?" he squinted his eyes at me as if trying to remember my name, which by the way, I hadn't told him yet.

"Emberly... Emberly Rae." I muttered quietly.

"Yes Miss Rae. Mind if I have a word with you?" He asked me and I tried my best to hide my surprise.

"Sure...?" I muttered again.

"I'm ready to help you Emberly. I will ask someone to look for a donor for your mother but..."

My eyes widened in disbelief. Had he really said he was ready to help me? Sensing the way the doctor bowed to him I knew he wasn't lying, I could tell by looking at him that nothing was impossible for him.

"Oh my god. Can you really do that? Thank you so much. I don't know how to repay you... Oh my god wait till dad finds out... he will literally jump out of the window... thank you so much... what can I do for you, sir?" I was literally screaming by now.

"Well, I was getting there before you decided to interrupt me," he replied and I opened my mouth to speak but he gestured for me to stay silent and continued, "but I want something in return."

I eyed him strangely this time. And here I was thinking he truly wanted to help us. Pedo Alert...!

"What can that be?" I asked irately, feeling all the hope vanishing within seconds.

Noticing my tone and as if hearing my thoughts, his face turned a shade redder. Maybe it wasn't what I was thinking.

"I want you to be at my son's service at all times." He smirked at me and I felt as if someone drenched me in bucket of cold, ice water.

❦❦❦❦❦