Chapter Thirty-Seven ✓

Sophia's POV:

I remember it all clearly. When I was 7 years old, I had a friend named Katy. She was the sweetest and the best friend any seven years old could ever ask for. Luckily, she became my best friend. We used to play all the time even though we lived far away. I met her at the church when my dad moved to another city, yet again. Even before visiting her house for the first time, I knew Katy was different than us. Her dresses were prettier than mine and definitely cost more money than my father could ever make in a year. Pitiful, I know. However, not even once she made me feel like an outcast whilst the other kids in school did.

I was different, I guess. That's how other kids in school saw me. They didn't want to play with me or my sisters. However, that never bothered me because I had Katy as my friend. She used to defend me when others teased me about my old clothes. She said my dresses were pretty and told me that I shouldn't pay attention to the mean kids. I knew she only said to make me feel better but it was these little gestures that made me want to be like her even more.

I used to hate moving around but I was glad I met her. One day, she took me to her house. Till today, I still remember how it was. It was huge and beyond my expectation. It was all white and large. They even had a tree house! For seven years old, that was a huge deal. Then I met her mother. I always thought my mother was the prettiest till I met Katy's mother Donna. From her expensive clothes to the pearls she wore left me completely astonished. It would be stupid to say she was really pretty. She was more than that. I couldn't point out even one flaw out of her.

Whenever, we went to her house her smile would turn upside down and disgust would appear in her eyes. She had a way of making me feel about two inches tall only, just with that look. Even the seven years old me knew she didn't approve of our friendship. I used to ask my mom about why she didn't like me, or why the kids in the school made fun about my clothes. My mom used to smile politely, whispering in my ear that I shouldn't be paying attention to these matters as god has given as a lot. Stupidly, I believed her words. After all, god was a solution to every problem we faced.

There were points in our life when we didn't had enough to eat but I never heard my parents complaining to their 'god'. Even as a little girl, I knew God was kind to people who don't deserve it. More specifically, God favoured rich kids only. They never went church like we did. I've never heard Katy's parent thanking God on regular bases like we did. I was always surprise how god listened to their wishes and their prayers all the time. It told me a lot about his priorities. Even god had his favourite and I was sure I wasn't. Otherwise, I would've gotten a dollhouse on Christmas like Katy did.

It never affected me though. I ignored the mean comments about my family and my clothes. Katy and I were still friends and no one could separate us. I was born into a house of 9 people, including my grandparents. Our house was very little yet we had no problem sharing with each other. We had very little money but my parents treated me as a princess. A princess without a pearls, tiara, fancy clothes or even a castle but they adored me. My siblings were always complaining but I knew they loved me as much as my parents did. This was the reason why I was in my own pink bubble.

When my grandfather gave his favourite pen to my brother, which I wanted to have desperately, he smiled and said I will have everything in my life compared to my brother. My smile will literally melt anyone's knees and I believed that. I knew my smile could get me in and out of trouble easily even when we used to play in Katy's dad's office. He would get mad at Katy but never at me. The teachers cherished me and the girls were mostly jealous. I knew I was better than most of them and this used to bother a lot of parents. Why that poor girl is doing better than my daughter? I am a trustee of this school then why is she getting more attention than my son? Why is she the lead in every play? For once, I could rub it in their face like how they all used to do.