Chapter Twenty ✓

Chapter Twenty:

(Edited by: Kinjal. Thank you hun <3)

Arran's POV:

The reason I didn't want Emberly to attend this gala was pretty much obvious. Everything about tonight would be screaming fake. Only tonight, you will get an old douche, who probably kept nearly ten underage girls as slaves, acting and supporting the anti-child slavery organisation. That was the main reason why I don't bother attending these types of events at all. I am all in for helping others but exploiting the whole definition of charity is what annoys me the most. Even though, it is supposed to raise charity, I doubt anyone takes it seriously. You will see ladies dressed in Chanel, which costs more than the actual charity they will 'help' to raise.

I sat with Luke and Stacy and I kept glancing toward the entrance door. She should be here by now. What if she is not coming? I did act like an idiot. I really don't know what happens to me when I am around her. One moment, I want to make her smile or laugh and the very next moment I would say something to hurt her. I feel protective about her and I get angry when my own best friend hits on her, which is weird since she is only my assistant. That's why I flipped out when Luke invited her to this event. I guess I am not good at expressing emotions at all.

'It's not your fault, after what she did to you, you can't trust anyone.'

Five years ago, if someone cried in front of me I would've done anything in the world to make that person stop crying. I was the guy who always tried to make others happy. Who knew people will take advantage of him because of his father's money, but still let them as long as they were happy. I was an average guy who was passionate about photography. I was carefree.

But now, even if it still bothers me when someone is crying in front of me, I won't do anything to stop them from crying. It momentarily freezes me but that's pretty much it. I don't give a fuck if someone is happy or not. I still know people will take advantage of me in some way or another so that's why I have a hard time trusting others. I know how this works now so I hardly let anyone talk to me. It's strictly pleasure and work. For the record, I hate photography now. I didn't get rid of all the pictures I took, but I haven't touched the damn cameras till now.

This is what business does to you. It matures you way more than you are supposed to be. I was pushed in this field when I wasn't prepared. I was told I had to join one day but I wasn't looking forward to it. I had to look after the responsibilities, which I didn't want to. All my life, I was told to enjoy my life as much as I could and even having everything in hands, I didn't. I didn't let the money get to me. Only when she left me, I felt I had to do this. There weren't many options left for me. Either do it or you will be made to do it! I, gladly, went for the first one.

That's where my little assistant comes in the picture. This is where I can easily relate to her. I am damn sure she doesn't like working and she must be really desperate for money to still work for me. However, Emberly is someone who you will think ten times before messing with. Not that I am scared but I know she is emotionally weak. She'll believe whatever you'll tell her. Call her useless one time, even by accident and she will believe it for the rest of her life. That's why I am cautious with my words. But I hardly get time to think what I say to her.