Chapter Forty-Five✓

Emberly's POV:

My mind was whirring and spinning and I was absently watching the TV. I got home an hour or two ago. I wasn't sure anymore. My mind still comprehended the events of tonight.

I believed him... I truly did. I saw a man who wanted to move on. It would be a lie if I say it didn't hurt seeing them together. They share a history, longer than I have with Arran. They were each other's first in so many ways but not every first are meant to be last. The apology... the guilt. I saw everything in his eyes. If he didn't care, he would never share those emotions with me.

The house was eerie quite tonight and the wind was rattling the windows. I prayed there isn't a blackout. I wrapped the blanket around me tightly. The heating rarely worked in my house.

I was about to go to my bed when I heard a knock. I looked at the clock and it was past two. Without making any noise, I checked the peephole. My heart pounded when I recognised the silhouette. It was Arran. I quickly opened the door.

"Arran..." I said breathlessly, halting when I noticed the expression on his face. His face was colder than usual.

It was freezing and I realised I was just wearing a grey oversized T-shirt and pyjama shorts after shower. My hair was a mess but one look at his expressionless face, I forgot about my appearance. I allowed him to come inside and locked the door.

He didn't say anything but walked towards the room with lights on. He sat on the sofa and so did I, albeit on the edge. I sucked in a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart.

I bit on my lip and eyed him nervously. He never came inside my house before. My house was a lot smaller than his. He grew up in luxury and I wondered what he thought about my house. Minimum decoration, barely anything expensive.

But all these thoughts evaporated when he shifted and rested his head on my lap. I sucked in a breath. His eyes were closed and he was breathing even. I threaded my fingers through his hair, noting that it was softer than mine. He sighed under my touch. Something was bothering him. I could tell by the way his muscles were tensed.

What happened after I left? Was he still thinking about what happened in the hotel room?

The telenova I was watching was all forgotten. I studied his profile.. Even with his eyes closed, he had his brows knit together and his lower lip was slightly jutting out. I bit a smile. I studied rest of his profile. A strong jawline that could give you a paper cut if you touched it. A crash of thunder sent my heart pounding. I straightened quickly, not wanting to get caught gawking at him and noted the time.

I shook him gently, hating to wake him up. "Lets go upstairs."

He nodded, lost in thought. He looked restrained as if he's holding something back. I wanted to ask him but I didn't wanted to push him. He followed me as we went upstairs.

I knew his night routine so I said, " Why don't you have a shower? Disposable toothbrush and towel are on the cabinet. I'll grab your clothes from your car."