Chapter Twenty-Seven ✓

Chapter Twenty-Seven: 

Emberly's POV: 

"Cherry, are you sure you can afford this place?" I whispered in her ear while checking the place out. 

"Relax babe, you know John right? He is paying for all this." She replied, waving at a few people like a total diva. 

John was Cherry's cousin and boy was he gorgeous or what? I use to have a major crush on him during my high school days but then he moved away to live with his father. He was popular amongst everyone and a total heartthrob. He was your typical good-looking basketball player who was loved by many. 

Since I was Cherry's best friend, he knew I existed. But I did have to admit he was all beauty, when it came to brains he was dumber than I imagined. Even though he was two years older than me, I offered to be his tutor for chemistry. Big mistake! I had thought it would be the two of us alone and like a hormonal teenager I thought we might've had something in common and that we would've clicked in some way but I was so wrong. Let's just say after a week I was begging my chemistry teacher to find him another tutor and my crush was long gone. 

Cherry sure knew how to throw birthday parties. However this time she hadn't felt like throwing a party. Since, according to her, she was 'mature' now, she held her birthday party at a fancy restaurant. She invited her cousins and her friends from college and work. She told us to dress classy. John booked half of the place and he did a fine job choosing the restaurant. It was fabulous. Everything around here was classy, I loved the whole ambiance and it also had a homely touch to it.  

Luckily, I had a half-day at work and shockingly I didn't see Arran at all the whole day. I found out he hadn't been in today and Lauren said it was due to a personal reason so I didn't pry much. I could tell Lauren was excited to spread the gossip but I pushed her away grumpily. I had felt like calling him and asking him but I brushed the thought off. I didn't want to appear as a nosy assistant and what if he questioned me? If he wanted to tell me he would've notified me. I never thought I would admit it but I had missed him so I did end up emailing him, asking if I was required to do other work but he replied in a single line that said no and that I could have the rest of the day off. It was strange but it did give me time to get ready and help Cherry get ready.  

Coming back to the gathering, everyone was looking their best. However, Cherry stole the night with her long, black dress. It was a low, neckline dress with a slit at one side. She tied her hair in a high, clean ponytail and she only wore the small diamond studs I gifted her with. I, on other hand, wore a royal blue dress. It had a beautiful diamond brooch on the waist and a surplice neckline. The pleaded skirt stopped at my knees and I wore silver high heels that matched the brooch and my earrings. Cherry, the expert she was, styled my hair in waves.  

Cherry introduced me to her friends and even though I went to the same university as her, I didn't know them at all, the reason being that Cherry was majoring in art and design whereas I was majoring in applied chemistry. Her cousins were also present which was a surprise because she didn't get along with her cousins. It was kind of awkward for me since I was not a social butterfly but I tried my best to be polite.