Chapter Thirty-Six ✓

Chapter Thirty-Six

Emberly's POV:

"Be careful darling, when you try to fix a broken person, you may cut yourself on their shattered pieces! Sophia was, is and will always be the most important person in his life. Don't you ever, even for a second, think you can replace her. If I couldn't, there's no way on earth, someone like you can." Her whole posture was still, yet her words were venomous.

I twisted my neck around so fast that I was certain I'd be feeling the effects of whiplash later. She walked out with a satisfied smile on her face.

I went back to the table, her words still stuck in my mind.

"Do you mind walking? It's not far, and we can walk along the beach." He asked as he paid the bill, leaving a hefty tip.

I shook my head. "That sounds nice."

A few minutes later, we were walking along the beach in the moonlight. I had my heels in my hand. It was the most relaxed I have ever been with him.

"I was thinking." I hesitated.

"Uh-oh." He grinned mischievously.

"If you really love Sophia, why would you sleep with other girls?" I blurted.

It was bugging me a lot. If he really loved her as he claimed, than why would he ruin the time he spent with her with some meaningless one-night stands? He shook his head and pressed his lips together, as if he didn't want to tell me.

"I'm sorry, that was totally personal. You don't have to answer me." I added quickly. I watched as his expression softened a little.

"It's not that easy to explain. After she left, I wanted to get rid of the memories that would haunt me everywhere I went. I wanted to shut myself from everyone. I thought girls were easy and I knew what I was dealing with now. They knew to expect nothing from me so they had zero expectations beyond what I offered. It was a just an escape and a mindless release. I never let anyone hold my emotions so they didn't have the power to use my emotions against me, again." He stopped walking and faced me.

His eyes searched mine. I usually see either heat or a teasing light in his eyes, but right now, neither were the case. They seemed...troubled. Like he was conflicted about something. It took every fibre of my being to not reach out my hand and touch his perfect face, to wipe away his sorrows.