Chapter 16: Goodbye

Peyton sits on my bed, swinging her legs as I dig through some boxes. Once I find what im looking for, I stand up to show her. She smiles and nods. I plug my dock into the wall and set it onto the nightstand. Peyton brings my phone over and plugs it in. She picks a Katy Perry song.

"You know, this is the only song Ive ever heard." she says as she hums to Firework.

"Really?" I ask as I take a seat on the bed.

Peyton twirls around, her small arms outstretched. "My mom said that music is stupid and is a waste of time." She stops twirling and looks at me. "What happened? Why did my mommy push me out?"

"What do you mean?" I ask.

Peyton comes to sit by me. "She grabbed all my things and pushed me out the door. Harry took me here."

"Lets, um not worry about that now. Come on, let me do your hair and makeup." She nods and hops onto the chair in front of the mirror.

"Are you gunna make me look pretty?" she asks.

Her question makes me laugh. "Yes ma'am! And after I'll do your nails."

Harry leans against the door frame. He laughs at us. "Ill leave you two Barbie dolls alone." He chuckles and shuts the door.

My curling iron gives a small beep, signaling it was ready for use. I carefully curled strands of her long blonde hair. I had decided on curling the ends of her hair, making it look natural. The mascara made her blue eyes look bigger then they actually were.

"I wanna see!" Peyton squeals. I turned her around to make it a surprise. Peyton bounces in the chair, her child like demeanor makes me laugh.

"One, two, three!" I count and spin her chair around. Her eyes light up bright. She smiles wide and claps her hands.

"Thank you!" she giggles. I embrace her in a tight hug. Now that I have company, living down here might not be so bad.

*Harrys POV*

Samantha has been down here for awhile now. The week is almost up. I have to make a move, and fast.

I stand in the bathroom, the reflection in the mirror isn't mine. Im so weak. My eyes are getting lighter, the bags under them getting darker, the chest pains I have are more frequent. Im losing the battle with immortality.

Samantha hasn't seen me for a few days. The last time I saw her was when I brought Peyton.

My chest moves up and down as I take deep breaths. The pain in my chest is becoming increasingly harder to handle. Soon I won't be able to stand. I wish I could kill just anyone, for now I could really use it, but its against my nature.

I walk down the stairs towards Samantha's room. I can hear laughing coming from the other side of the door. I knock on the door and all noise diminishes. The knob twists and I am greeted by Samantha's green eyes. She gives me a warm smile, but it quickly vanishes once she sees the condition Im in. "Ill be right back." she whispers to Peyton.

She shuts the door behind her. I take a step back to give her some room. She takes my face in her hands. "Whats wrong! You look awful." the pain visible in her voice.

"Im fine." I grab her wrists and pull them away from my pale face.

"No you're not." she firmly states.

"Im dying." I whisper. Her eyes widen at my words.

"W-What?" she stutters, her voice barely audible. I could now hear her erratic heartbeat. It was almost as if her heart could jump out of her chest.

"I haven't killed in over six months, Samantha. Im weak. We need to move fast."

"Even if it means you have to leave?"

I nod.

She takes a deep breath and wraps her arms around me tightly. I can feel her hot tears staining my white T-shirt.

Samantha has made a big impact on me since I met her. Ive grown apart from my dark and sinful past. I am even wearing colors other then black.

I am learning how to be human again, but I still can't survive without the consumption of human souls. Ive been depriving myself for Samantha's sake.

Samantha releases me from her grasp. She takes hand and holds it tightly in her smaller one. "If it means that you will live, go."

"Ive never been alive, Samantha. Not for the past thirty years."

"But you're getting there. I can see it. More and more every day. You are becoming human. Soon we will find a cure. I know it." She kisses the back of my hand. I grab her and pull her back into me. I hold her tight, for now I know this might be the last time I see her. Or hold her for that matter.

"Do me one last favor." I ask.

"Anything."

"Could you make me look, more healthy and alive?"

She smiles wide and grabs my wrist. She pushed the door and walks into the room, dragging me behind her. Her dainty hands grab hold of my shoulders and push me into her chair. She looks at Peyton and smiles.

"Maybe this isn't such a good idea," I say, standing up. They grab both of my arms and pull me back into a sitting position.

They start to work their magic on me. After thirty minutes of make up, they finish. I actually look human.

The girls start laughing. "You look great Haz." Peyton giggles.

"Yeah well at least I have my dignity." We all laugh.

Samantha follows me out of the room and shuts the door behind her. "Good luck." she sighs.

I give her one last hug. Our lips find each other in a heated goodbye kiss.

"Goodbye." She whispers as she leans her head against my chest.

I stroke her hair and kiss the top of her head. "Goodbye."