Chapter 50: The Battle Begins

Without thinking, I aim my pistol and take a shot at Edric.

"Samantha no!" Matayah yells jumping in front of me.

The bullet pierces Edric's left shoulder.

With none of his guards left to protect him, Edric runs out through a back entrance behind a curtain on the wall.

Once I am sure Edric was gone, I dropped my pistol and ran up to Harry.

I quickly release Harry from the shackles and pull him into a hug.

Sobs racked my chest as I buried my head into his neck.

"Shh baby." Harry coos, rubbing my arm.

"I-I almost lost you." I sniffle, pulling him tighter.

"Oh," he winces.

I pull away and take his face in my hands.

"I'm sorry! What hurts?" I ask, checking his face.

"My back." He huffs.

Just then, Daria comes into the room with Bradley and another angel.

"Samantha!" Bradley sighs. He comes over and gives me a hug. "Thank god you're okay."

"Can anyone here cure him?" Daria calls out, checking the crowd.

A sickly old woman stands up and wobbles her way over to Daria.

Bradley and I were checking ver Harry, cleaning up the blood and giving him some water.

Daria and the old woman come over to us.

"Can you heal him?" I ask her, my eyes full of pleading.

"I will see what I can do." She smiles.

She tells Harry to lay down. She places a cloth over his back and pours some type of liquid overtop of it. Whatever it was, it caused Harry a lot of pain.

He was screaming and withering underneath the thin cloth. I couldn't bear to watch so I hid behind Bradley, fisting his t-shirt tight between my fingers.

After a minute or two of painful screaming, Harry finally relaxes.

Harry slowly stands. The cloth falls from his back as he stretches his wings.

His skin was free of any blood and lashes. Whatever that woman used on him, it worked.

I run up to him and give him a proper hug.

"I thought I lost you." I said again.

Harry smiles. "I would never leave you."

"Harry." Raphael speaks up. "The battle?"

"Oh yeah!" Harry remembers.

He gives me one last kiss on my forehead.

"Please go with Daria and head back to the school. It's not safe out here for you. I don't know what I would do with myself if you got hurt."

Harry gives me a peck on the lips and rushes out the door with Bradley, Raphael and Matayah, along with all of the male angels that were in the hall.

The angel that came in with Daria was Elliot, the same angel that Daria hushed when we first arrived. He was going around to all the women and children in the room, checking to see if they were okay.

Daria comes up to me and wraps me in a hug.

"Let's go back now, okay?"

"No."