Heartbeat [5]

Meredith

That night I tossed and turned all night. I couldn't get the wolf out of my head. I hoped to see it again. I felt a sense of security being with him and he was absolutely beautiful. I knew Jack was suspicious about my time spent in the woods. I hadn't realised so much time had passed just sitting with that wolf.  

As my luck would have it, I didn't see that wolf again. Before I knew it, a whole month had passed. I was disappointed about not seeing him and despite sneaking out into the woods almost every night, he was never there in that spot where we sat. 

Things between Jack and I are still a little rocky. He's kept to his word about not hurting me ever again but I still don't trust him. He won't sign the house over to me despite everything that had happened before. He won't even tell me who this Eliot Hunt is. The only other man I've seen around this place is the gorgeous guy from before when I was meant to keep myself busy while they had a meeting. Maybe he's Eliot Hunt and maybe he's the one trying to buy my house. But they're all just maybe's. I don't really know anything.

Today  I'm having my first ultrasound. I'm nearly thirteen weeks pregnant and usually, you'd have one at twelve weeks but Jack said he wouldn't be able to make it last week so I rearranged the appointment. Jack is at work today but he promised to leave on his lunch break to come and pick me up and come to the appointment with me. I'm now standing in the kitchen staring at the clock that reads 12:45. I sigh impatiently and check my phone for any messages. Jack was meant to be here fifteen minutes ago. He's late. If I don't leave in the next five minutes, I'll be late.

I try calling him but he doesn't pick up. So I call the office. No one answers. I wait for those five minutes hoping he'd walk through the door apologising while rushing me from the house. But it doesn't happen so I grab my own car keys and leave the house. I manage to make it to the hospital just in time for the nurse to call out my name.

"Hi Meredith. I'm Louise. How are you feeling today?" She's a pretty woman in her late twenty's with light brown hair braided down her back and soft brown eyes. 

"Hi. I'm doing OK thank you. Just a little tired." I smile to hide the disappointment that fills me. I really wanted Jack with me today. Despite everything, I need his support. 

She leads me into a large room that's very clean and bright. The bed and ultrasound machine is already set up and a gown is folded and sitting at the end of the bed. Louise hands it over to me smiling.

"Tired is normal. It's a lot of work carrying a baby. Here's your gown, you can change in here while I get the doctor for you."

"Thank you." She leaves and I quickly change, folding my clothes up and placing them on a nearby chair.

While waiting for the doctor, I walk around the room and study all the pictures on the wall. There's one that shows each stage of pregnancy and how the baby grows more and more. Another is more of a facts sheet that tells you about symptoms you can experience, healthy foods to eat, what not to eat and things like that. There's even a model of the uterus with a baby inside that you can dismantle and study.

A knock at the door has me hurrying towards the bed. I sit down just as the doctor walks in.

"I apologise for keeping you waiting. You must be Miss Brooks." I smile and nod. 

"I'm Dr Avery. I'll be your doctor throughout your pregnancy so anything you're concerned about or you just need to talk then I'm your girl." She smiles brightly and it makes me feel a little better about being here alone.

Dr Avery is much like the nurse that was here a few minutes ago, a beautiful brunette but with lovely blue eyes. She's a little older though but still beautiful.