I Can Live With It [17]

Meredith

That night I actually slept peacefully. I didn't have dreams of werewolves or anything like that. But when I awake the next morning, the sun streaming through the windows onto the soft sheets and creating a blanket of warmth, I feel numb. It's like I've been living in an alternate universe. I mean werewolves, really? I am a human being like everyone else... at least that's what I thought.

I lay beneath the soft sheets for hours as many things filter through my mind. Although the thought of werewolves being real is hard to believe, I know it's true. And what worries me is that it doesn't scare me. I freaked out last night when I was told everything but after a good night of sleep and some time alone to think, I realise that it doesn't matter. 

Why do I care whether Eliot, Chase and Emily are werewolves? I've always seen them as human beings and they've done nothing but show kindness towards me. On the first day that Chase met me, he punched Jack twice because he witnessed Jack handling me roughly. Emily took me out shopping and became an instant best friend. We continued to meet every week after that to have lunch together, she's practically a sister to me. And then there's Eliot. That handsome man with the striking blue eyes and compassionate soul. He's been my hero since the day I locked gazes with him in the hallway.

I sit up slowly in bed, smiling as I rub my palm over my swollen belly and push the sheets away from my body. I haven't felt the baby move yet but I'm hoping it will happen soon. It's silly to think this but I believe that once I feel the baby move inside of me, it will become more real and I'll have a proper connection with my baby. As I said, it's silly but I can't wait to feel that first little flutter of my baby moving. It's exciting to imagine.

I slip out of bed and quickly use the bathroom before heading downstairs with one thing on my mind. I'm not surprised to see that everyone is already up and eating breakfast. I'm usually the last one up in the mornings. They're all talking quietly amongst themselves, Eliot has his back to me with Chase opposite him and Emily next to Chase. Chase is the first one to notice me standing timidly at the entrance to the kitchen. His eyes widen at the sight of me and he begins choking on whatever he's eating. 

"Chew your food, Chase." Eliot mutters and I grin a little.

Chase shakes his head and motions towards me. Eliot turns around with a scowl on his face until his eyes meet mine and he lets out a relieved sigh, his expression relaxing.

"Meredith."

The kitchen is silent for a moment as Eliot and I just stare at one another. I see movement from behind Eliot but keep eye contact with him.

"We'll just leave yo-" Chase begins but I cut him off. I want them all to hear this.

"I don't care." I state bluntly. 

Eliot frowns in confusion and opens his mouth to speak.

"I don't care that you're all werewolves." I answer his question before he can ask it.

"What?" Emily whispers from behind him.

I look over at her and shrug.

"I've been thinking about it all morning and I realise that it doesn't change anything. You're still Emily and you're still Chase. You've still helped me during the past many weeks with Jack and the baby." 

I can feel Eliot's burning gaze on my face but I keep my eyes on Emily as she slumps back into her seat with relief and smiles happily. 

"I freaked out last night. Finding out your friends are werewolves isn't exactly a normal occurrence but when I had time to think about it alone, I decided that it doesn't matter what you are. None of you has ever hurt me, if anything you've protected me with everything you have and I couldn't be more grateful. So no, I don't care that you're werewolves. I can live with it."