20-Week Scan [28]

Meredith

"Are you ready to see your baby?"

I squeeze Eliot's hand, a huge grin on my face as I nod to Amber. I've been looking forward to this for ages. My 20-week scan is finally here and I can find out the gender of the baby today, at least I hope I can. Amber has set the ultrasound up in our bedroom so I'm happily and comfortably lying on our bed with a few pillows stuffed under my head. Eliot is sitting on the other side of me on the bed, holding my hand and staring at the monitor. 

"Of course she is! Just hurry up and do it so we can find out if I have a niece or not!" Emily commands excitedly. Did I forget to mention she's here? Yes well, she's like a hyper child on a sugar rush, unable to stand still or shut up for that matter. 

Amber raises an eyebrow at her as if to say, excuse me but who are you telling me what to do? I giggle as Emily blushes.

"Please...? Sorry, I'm just excited!" She gushes bouncing on her toes next to me. 

"I better get started then. Lift your top up for me please." Amber says to me.

I lift it up, folding it just under my bra so my stomach is showing. Amber squeezes some gel onto my rounding belly and I gasp at how cold it is. 

"Sorry, I should have warned you."

"It's fine." I smile at her. 

"OK, let's see what we have here."

Amber moves the wand around my belly for a few minutes and everyone is silent, captivated by the fuzzy black and white screen next to me. I peek over at Eliot, frowning slightly when I notice he's the only one not looking at the screen. His thumb rubs gently over the back of my hand, his eyes fixed on the bed sheets. What's the matter with him? I want to ask him but I don't want to put him on the spot in front of everyone. 

"Ah. There you are." Amber's voice draws me away from Eliot and to the screen just as the sound of a fluttering heartbeat fills the room. 

"Is that what I think it is?" Emily asks in a whisper.

I glance over at her, smiling as I see how emotional she's getting as she stares at the screen. Now I'm not the only crying one in this pregnancy.

"Yes. That's the baby's heartbeat. Nice and strong." 

I reach over for Em's hand, smiling at her as she takes it.

"Are you crying Em?" She sniffs quietly and uses her free hand to wipe away the tear that trails down her cheek.

"It's just... she's so beautiful." Em replies full of emotion. I giggle. I admit that it's an amazing feeling to see the baby on the screen and hearing the heartbeat is just something else but to call a fuzzy black and white scan image beautiful, well I wouldn't go that far.

Although, there is no doubt that my child, whether a boy or girl, will be beautiful.

"Would you-" Just as Amber is about to ask me a question, the door bursts open and an out of breath and panting Chase staggers into the room.

"Did I miss it? Is it a girl?" He gasps out, his face bright red and sweaty.

I snort in amusement as Eliot rolls his eyes at his goofy best friend. 

"Shut up and come here! You're ruining it!" Emily scolds him, her once look of amazement now one of annoyance at her mate's interruption. 

"No, you haven't missed it yet Chase." I tell him, motioning him to come closer to the screen.