The Button Problem [8]

Meredith

Emily and I spent hours exploring different stores for clothes and accessories. We had lunch in a cute little restaurant along the high street and even went to the hairdressers to have our hair done. I only had mine trimmed and a few layers added. I didn't want to cut too much from it as I love having long hair. My light brown hair with natural blond streaks looks fresher and much wavier now all the dead ends have been cut off.

Now we're in the last store of our shopping trip. I've talked so much with Emily about everything that I feel as if I've known her for years rather than just a few hours. She was so easy to talk to and it felt good to have another woman to talk to. We talked a lot about my childhood before my parents died, I told her how Jack had become my legal guardian of sorts and had practically taken over my life. She asked about the pregnancy and was excited for the arrival of a new baby. It was nice. I wasn't being treated like a clumsy child for once.

Emily was now standing outside the dressing room as I tried on a few more items of clothing. Being thirteen weeks pregnant, I now have a cute little bump sticking out between my hips. The only problem is getting into clothes of my normal size. I'm trying to squeeze into a pair of dark wash skinny jeans but it's almost impossible. I can't button them or even do the zip up due to my suddenly fat arse and little bump. I grunt and groan, rolling my eyes as I hear Emily giggling from the other side of the door.

"Are you having some trouble?" She asks, the amusement clear in her voice.

"No. I think these are a size 8. They won't do up." I grumble back. I slump down onto the small bench and stare down at the stupid button that won't do up no matter how hard I try sucking in my stomach.

"Or your cute little bump is preventing the size 10 jeans from doing up?"

I huff. How can I be getting big already? I thought I would have until I was at least eighteen weeks before I had to start buying bigger clothes. This is ridiculous.

"I'm fat already!" I cry out to her frowning at the stupid jeans.

In a fit of anger, I wiggle the jeans off and throw them against the closed door. Emily laughs.

"You're not fat, you're pregnant. I'll get you a bigger size."

"I don't want a bigger size. I want these ones to fit."

I'm sitting now only in my underwear and short sleeved top as I glare at the jeans laying on the floor. I'm not ready to buy maternity clothes and be some fat elephant.

"There's a baby growing inside you Mer, you won't be able to fit into your clothes forever. Come on, get dressed and we'll go look at some maternity clothes if you like." Emily has already begun calling me Mer as a nickname and it makes me smile when she says it. She's already a friend.

"Fine. Stupid jeans." I pull on my leggings and put my shoes back on.

As I open the dressing room door, I throw the jeans out the door huffing and grab my bag, storming past Emily who's biting her lip to prevent from laughing at me. Emily grabs the jeans and passes them to the sales assistant as we walk out. Once we get outside, I stop and take a deep breath. Emily stops next to me smiling softly.

"Do you want to go home?" She asks.

I think about it for a moment before nodding. I'm tired and I'm not ready for maternity shopping. Just the thought of it horrifies me. I'll wear leggings for months if I have to, anything but stretchy waistband jeans or maxi dresses.