Playful Mornings [13]

Meredith

I'm in the kitchen the next morning before anyone. I didn't manage to get back to sleep last night after leaving the wolf in the woods. The memories of my parents are too painful, it makes it hard to close your eyes and relax. I didn't want to dream of them again. Even the good memories are painful. 

Chase is the first person that appears in the kitchen and he seems surprised to see me.

"Good morning little lady. You're up early." Chase greets as he kisses my cheek.

I slide a cup of coffee across the table towards him. He thanks me and takes a sip. I made it fresh just before he came down. I figured making them all coffee in the morning is the least I can do.

"I had a little trouble sleeping."

"You OK?" He asks frowning as he places his cup on the table. 

"I'm fine. I promise." 

"If it's that piece of shit scumbag fu-" I cut him off before he can curse Jack out some more.

"Chase, it wasn't him. Honestly, I'm OK. I just need to get used to being somewhere new." I giggle as he grumbles like a child under his breath until Emily strolls in.

"Good morning my handsome hunk.." Emily smiles brightly before kissing him soundly on the lips. "... and the beautiful mummy-to-be." She finishes as she kisses my cheek and pats my baby bump.

"Morning Emily. You're happy today." 

Emily hums in reply as she skips around the kitchen like a child on a sugar rush. I've never really seen her in her own home and acting herself. She's always been happy and upbeat but never to this extreme. It's actually quite nice to see after spending all my mornings in a house with strict Jack. 

Her little nicknames for us are also amusing. Handsome hunk? I can't help the laugh that escapes my lips every time I hear that phrase repeat in my head. Chase doesn't even seem to notice, that or she's called him handsome hunk a hundred times before and he's used to it. He probably even likes the nickname.

"Hey babe. There's fresh coffee here, Meredith made it." I pass her a cup and smile as she kisses my cheek once again in thanks.

"Do you guys want breakfast?" I ask them both.

Emily has barely put her bum on the seat next to me before she's jumping up again and flying around the kitchen.

"Oh no, I will do breakfast. You can sit there and relax."

"I can make breakfast Emily, I just want to do something for you guys to say thank you for helping me."

"You don't need to thank us. Just keep your pregnant booty on that chair." 

Chase chokes on his coffee from laughing and I roll my eyes. I watch Chase in amusement as he roughly puts his cup down and begins banging his chest with his fist to relieve his airways. His whole face is red and tears are in his eyes. 

"Pregnant w-what?!" He coughs at Emily who simply smiles sweetly and returns to cooking.

"What are you guys laughing about?" A tired voice asks from the entrance of the kitchen.

Eliot is leaning against the door frame in nothing but a loose pair of grey pyjama bottoms and rubbing his eyes tiredly as he squints at us all.

"Her pregnant booty.. booty, booty, booty." Emily sings while dancing towards him and shaking her bum.

I giggle and cover my mouth with my hand. Eliot is just standing there with complete and utter confusion on his face. His eyes meet mine and twinkle with emotion. I'm not sure what the emotion is, it's difficult to tell but as he stares deeply into my eyes, I sense protection and care... maybe even love? I blink as soon as that word enters my mind. I shake my head in attempts of forgetting it causing Eliot to furrow his brows in question. Biting my lip as I feel the heat slowly crawl up my neck, I turn away from him and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.