Looking Into The Past [12]

Meredith

It's nearly midnight when a harsh knock sounds at the door. I'm curled up on the sofa with Jack watching a movie. He's looking after me while my parents are out having a night to themselves. I'm fifteen, nearly sixteen but my parents always feel better knowing Jack is in the house with me. They don't like me being home alone.

I lift my head from Jack's shoulder as he stands to answer the door. I sit up as he opens the door and the sound of muffled voices float down the hall. It's barely moments before Jack returns but unlike the calm expression he had when he left to answer the door, now he looks sad. His expression is one of pain and my heart begins to pound in my chest. What's happened? And just as I don't think it could get any worse, a man and woman in police uniform follow in from behind Jack.

"Meredith... This is officers Davis and Campbell. They want to talk to us." Jack says to me as he takes a seat next to me.

"W-why? Is something wrong?" I barely glance at Jack as I study the two police officers.

"Hi Meredith. My name is Jessica and this is my partner Adam. Is it alright if we talk to Jack for a minute alone?" 

My hands shake and an unsettling feeling rises in my stomach. Why are the police here? Did Jack do something wrong? Is that why they want to talk to him alone?

"Is he in trouble?"

"No sweetheart. We just need to talk to him. It will only take a few minutes." Jessica smiles reassuringly at me but I can see the sadness in her eyes. She knows something that I don't. They all do.

"It's OK Meredith, why don't you go and get ready for bed. It's late." Jack pats my knee and motions for me to leave.

I stand up on shaky legs and stumble out of the living room as fear fills my heart. Something bad has happened, I know it. But I do as I'm told and head to my bedroom to get changed. Once I'm in my pyjamas, I sit on my bed and wait anxiously, bouncing my leg rapidly. Minutes later I hear the police saying goodbye to Jack and I hear the front door close behind them. I listen as Jack's footsteps echo on the stairs and my heart leaps in my throat.

Jack pauses outside my door. The whole house is silent for a few seconds, it's deafening. Slowly my door opens and Jack steps in, a mask of sorrow on his features. I swallow harshly and stand up. I want to say something but the words get caught in my throat. 

"Sit down Meredith. I need to talk to you." Those words alone have my blood turning cold. Something bad has happened. Something very bad. I'm fifteen, I'm not naive. 

Jack takes hold of my hand as he sits me down and he sits also. I wait with my heart pounding for him to speak.

"There was an accident." 

That's all I need to hear. I know what's happened before he says it. Tears cloud my vision and my whole body begins to shake.

"Your parents were driving home and due to the icy roads, your father lost control of the car." A sob breaks through my lips but he carries on.

"They hit a tree. Apparently, the damage was really bad. Your parents didn't make it."

"NO!" I cry out pushing away from him and stumbling to my feet.