Panic [6]

Meredith

The kitchen is completely silent as I stare down at the two scribbled signatures on the contract. I'm pretty sure I've stopped breathing. I stare at them until they blur, praying they will disappear but when I blink, they're clear as anything. I take in a deep breath to calm down.

"Meredith..." Jack says softly breaking the silence.

"You sold my house?" I ask quietly.

"It's my h-"

"Don't you dare say it!" I spit at him. I grip the paper tightly in my hands and glare up at Jack.

"But you know it is."

"NO! THIS HOUSE WAS LEFT TO ME BY MY PARENTS! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SELL IT TO ANYONE!" I scream, throwing the contract at him.

"It's not your house?" The guest asks Jack with raised eyebrows.

Jack mutters something under his breath and holds a hand up to his guest to wait.

"Calm down Meredith. Stress is bad for the baby."

"Don't tell me to calm down when I've just found out that you missed our first scan of the baby because you were SELLING MY HOUSE!"

"It's in my name." He growls.

"I don't give a flying fuck if it was in the Queen's name! You know what this house means to me and now you're selling it to Eliot Hunt!" I turn to the guest. "Oh and I'm guessing that's you."

He just nods politely. Clearly, he doesn't want to get involved.

"Well guess what Eliot Hunt... You're not having my house. So whatever Jack promised you, kiss it goodbye. This is my house and no one is buying it." I tell him finally.

"Meredith, it's already done." Jack argues.

"Then undo it!"

Jack rolls his eyes at me. He turns towards Eliot and motions for him to leave the room. He does quickly, leaving me alone with Jack.

"Sit down baby." Jack pulls a chair out for me but I just stand there glaring.

"I'm not leaving this house. It's my home. It was my parents home, Jack. You can't just sell it to some stranger!" 

"Sit."

"No. I trusted you. My parents trusted you. This is all I have left of them." 

"It's just a house, Meredith. You can get a new one." He sighs as he rubs his face tiredly.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I ask.

"It doesn't matter why I-"

"It matters to me! This is my parents' house! You can't sell it!"

"Your parents are dead Meredith!" He shouts at me causing me to fall silent.

I feel like I've been punched in the stomach as his words echo in my head. I take a step away from him as the tears build in my eyes. Jack's expression softens as I swallow back the sob that wants to escape.

"Sweetheart, I didn't mean it like that." He murmurs as he reaches for me.

I gasp, stumbling back a few more steps as tears fall down my cheeks. Before he can say anything else, I turn around and walk out. I keep walking until I'm out the front door where I see Eliot leaning against a car I didn't notice before. I walk straight past him, quickening my pace until I reach the road. Not many cars drive down this road as the house is pretty isolated so I don't think twice before stepping out onto the road. The distinct sound of a blaring horn rings in my ears and I look up at the oncoming car speeding towards me. I don't have time to react, it's too close.