The Truth Hurts [20]

Eliot's P.O.V [New!]

I stand silently in the doorway of the living room observing the scene before me. Emily has Meri wrapped up tight in her arms as she sobs loudly, screaming about Jack's betrayal. It hurts to see her so upset, distraught even but she had to know. 

I came to this area of the town to buy it. The house we're staying in is owned by my parents and we're currently negotiating to buy this side of the woods. That also meant buying Meredith's house. I didn't know it was left to her by her deceased parents. In fact, I never knew she lived there until I saw her. 

At the moment, my parents are looking after the pack and taking care of the Alpha duties. It's why I've been able to stay here so long with Chase and Emily. We need this land in order to expand our territory. The pack is becoming too big and if we have this side of the woods then we'll have more space to build more houses for the families that want to live alone. 

"El." I turn around at the quiet call of my name.

Chase motions me over to the kitchen. I take one last worried glance at Meri before following him. Groaning as I sit down at the table opposite him, Chase smiles in understanding.

"It slowly tears you apart right? Listening to her cry like that." I nod. 

Chase and Emily have been mates for a few years now and I've seen him in pain when she is but I never understood it until now. It literally hurts my heart to see her like that. 

"Why did you tell her man? You should have just left Jack to dig his own hole. She would have found out on her own eventually."

"I told her because I don't want her anywhere near him. There was no reason for her to go back there today. At least now, she never will. He destroyed her life without her knowing and then took advantage of her vulnerability." 

Chase rolls his eyes at me and I growl in warning. I was only doing what I thought was best. I didn't want her living with a murderer. She's my mate and there's no way I will let her spend another second of her life with that poor excuse of a wolf. 

"She's pregnant Eliot. You can't just blurt stuff out like that. Her emotions are heightened, if she's stressed, it could affect the baby."

I can't help but grimace a little. My mate is pregnant with another man's baby. I'm not quite sure how to deal with that. At first, I hardly gave it a thought and it didn't matter to me but the weeks I've spent with her has changed that. I don't want her pregnant with someone else's child, I want it to be mine. 

"Right." I finally mumble to him in reply.

"It really bothers you doesn't it?"

"What?"

Chase raises an eyebrow at me. He knows I know what he's talking about but I'd rather not discuss it.

"You need to talk to her about it." 

"No, I don't. She can't handle anything else right now." Chase nods in agreement.

It's silent between us for a while as I listen to Meri sob in the other room. I want to comfort her but I'm not sure how she'll feel about being near me after what I told her. It's better that Emily comforts her. It's good for her to have a female around her, right? All she's ever had since her parents died is Jack.