Getting Back To Normal [21]

Meredith

The days that followed the events of learning about Jack's involvement in my parents' death, I spent wallowing in self-pity. I mostly stayed in bed either crying or just thinking about everything that's happened lately. Amber said it was good for me to get some bed rest but not cry myself into a depression. I didn't want to be sad all of the time, constantly thinking about the night my parents died. 

So on the fourth day of my hibernation, I decided to get out of bed and actually do something. I took a shower and actually got dressed in something that wasn't pyjamas. When I made it downstairs and into the kitchen, the familiar trio was hovering around the kitchen and was surprised to see me up and about.

"Mer, you're up." Emily says firstly and comes over to me in the doorway to hug me gently. 

I hold onto her for a while, relaxing in her comforting embrace. Emily squeezes me gently before letting go. I look over at Chase who smiles and winks at me cheekily receiving a small smile from me in return. I catch Eliot's eye for a brief moment and all the stress and anxiety I've been feeling over the past few days just melts away. 

"Can we go to lunch?" I ask Emily quietly as I focus back on her.

We usually go at least once a week and I enjoy our girl time together. After laying in bed for three days, I feel like I need to go out and get some fresh air, have a change of scenery from the four walls of my bedroom. 

Emily looks surprised but she nods enthusiastically. 

"Yes of course! Let me just get my purse and shoes." 

I watch Emily speed out of the kitchen and then turn to face the two boys. They're both smiling at me, probably not sure what to do or say to me. I smile in reassurance for them. It's a little funny that they have no idea how to act around me like I'm about to have another breakdown or something. But it's sweet. I just don't want them to worry.

"I'm fine." I tell them.

Eliot doesn't look so convinced but Chase dramatically drops his hunched shoulders and slouches onto one of the kitchen chairs. I laugh shaking my head at him.

"You've been locked up in your bedroom for three days." Eliot states with a frown.

"I know. I just needed some time to process everything. But honestly, I'm better now."

I move over to Eliot who's leaning against the kitchen counter. He stands up straighter as I reach him and I wrap my arms around his waist to hug him gently. He's a little surprised at first but he soon wraps his arms around me to return the embrace.

"I'm good. I promise." I murmur softly to him. 

"I'm sorry." He whispers back. The tone of his voice is guilty and remorseful. But he shouldn't be sorry for anything.

"You have nothing to be sorry for Eliot."

"But-" I pull away from him and give him a stern glare.

"No. But nothing. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm fine now. Just leave it there."

He holds my stare for a moment before nodding at me. 

"Good."

"Ready to go Mer?" I spin around at the sound of Em's voice and see her standing in the kitchen doorway holding out my coat for me. 

I smile and take it from her.

"Thank you. And yes I am."

I slip on my coat with a little help from Emily and then we say goodbye to the two boys before leaving the house.