He Has A Mate?! [33]

Meredith

I must stare at Jack for a good two minutes, just processing what he's said. It never occurred to me that he could have a mate. Since finding out about werewolves and knowing Jack is one, I didn't stop to think where his mate was. Every wolf has a mate, right? Jack has been around my whole life but I've never seen him date or mention a girlfriend, or a mate.

"How long have you had a mate?" I finally ask him, shaking myself out of a daze.

Jack hesitates and I narrow my eyes suspiciously. He's either going to lie about it or tell me the truth with a lot of reluctance because he knows I won't like it.

"Does it matter?" His eyes are downcast, he won't look me in the eye.

"Yes, Jack it matters! She tried to kill me!" I snap. He's pissing me off.

"We don't know that Meredith."

"She has your damn car! If it wasn't you then it had to be her!"

"What reason would she have to hurt you?"

"Well, that depends. How long have you been mates?"

"Three years." He sighs as I gape at him in disbelief.

Since the moment I met Eliot, I felt the connection between us. I haven't stopped thinking about him since that first time I made eye contact with him in this very hallway. He became my every thought and he stirred feelings inside me that I've never experienced before. Of course, I didn't know the reason for my new behaviour towards him but once he told me about us being mates, I couldn't ignore my feelings for him. I understood that we were meant to be together. We fitted like two pieces of a puzzle and to have that kind of connection with someone is amazing.

Why didn't Jack leave me for her? How did he stay away from her?

"Why didn't you leave to be with her?"

"I loved you Meredith, not Sarah."

"No! She's your mate, Jack. How do you even dismiss her like that? No wonder she tried to kill me! I would run me over too if I was her. I couldn't imagine anyone else being with Eliot."

I'm not condoning what that bitch did to me, she killed my baby. But I would be pissed too if my mate wouldn't leave some random human for me. I'm sure it was hard for Eliot to see me with Jack when we first met, not that Jack and I lasted very long.

"If she did hit you with my car then, believe me, I'm going to make her pay." I roll my eyes at him.

"Now you're deciding to care for me and the baby? You know what Jack, I can deal with my own problems thank you. I will deal with that bitch. You can leave now. This is my house and I don't want you here after everything you've done."

I turn around and step back into the house, closing the door behind me before he can say anything else. I'm done with his lies and excuses. I can't trust anything he says and he's lucky I haven't called the police on him yet for the murder of my parents. I need proof. I know Jack isn't going to confess to the police and Eliot doesn't have enough evidence, he just had a hunch and confronted Jack.

I walk into my kitchen and make myself a hot chocolate. As I sit at the table with my hands wrapped around the hot mug and my phone sitting beside it, I contemplate whether to call Emily or someone. I wonder if they know about Sarah, Jack's mate. They all said they have a history with Jack but I don't know all the details. We never really sat down and discussed it. Jack kept me well hidden from everyone so I'm sure he could have done the same with Sarah, especially as he basically rejected her.

Eliot told me about the rejection of mates. He explained to me that it was possible to reject your mate but you'd have to suffer the consequences. Apparently, it causes a lot of pain, both physically and emotionally to be without your mate. I'm not sure if he was worried about me rejecting him, maybe he was letting me know that I had the option to if I couldn't deal with the werewolf world. I did freak out when they told me about it but I accepted it, I still do.

As a human, I'm not sure if it would effect me in the same way as it does a werewolf. I know werewolves feel the connection of mates much stronger than their human mate. But I knew as soon as I met Eliot that we had a connection of some sort. I didn't need to be a wolf to know that I felt the electricity between us.

For the last few years that I spent with Jack before I met Eliot, I never felt that kind of connection with him. Jack was creepy and dating a woman that was half his age. He took advantage of me when I was most vulnerable. He used my parent's death to get what he wanted. Until Emily said it to me, I never really looked at it like that. Jack had cared for me when no one else had and I felt like I owed him and I guess he knew that.

Sipping on my hot chocolate, I tap the screen on my phone, bringing it to life. I go through my contacts until I find Emily's number and swipe to the right. I set my mug down and pick up my phone as it rings. After four rings, she answers.

"Meredith?! Oh, thank heavens! Are you OK?" I smile as her concerned voice fills my ear.

It's only been one night and I already miss her.

"Can you come over? I want to ask you about something." I reply, ignoring her question.

"Of course. I'll be there in an hour."

"Thanks. See you soon."

She hangs up and I place my phone down. For some reason, my heart beats erratically against my ribs and I feel nervous about seeing Em. I feel bad for leaving her and Chase, I really do care about them but I couldn't be in the same house as Eliot after what happened. It's too painful. I just hope she understands that.

I take my mug to the sink, washing it quickly before heading to my bedroom to get changed before Emily gets here.

Hopefully, she has some of the answers I'm looking for.

Hello to all my amazing readers, I want to apologise once again for the delay. I found it quite hard to write this chapter as I was having difficulty deciding where I wanted the story to go. I erased and re-wrote this chapter a few times, it's why it's taken me so long. But I hope you like it, it's a bit boring and a bit of a filler but please bare with me. It will get better :) Vote and Comment, let me know your thoughts! -x-