Chase The Giant [7]

Meredith

When I awake the next morning, it feels as though I've been hit by a truck. My body feels heavy and it takes everything I have just to climb out of bed. I shuffle down the stairs, still in my pyjamas and end up standing in the kitchen alone. Jack isn't in here. Frowning, I turn around and head towards the living room, still not finding him. Figuring he's probably at work, I go back to the kitchen and make myself a hot chocolate. Just as I put my mug of milk in the microwave, there's a knock at the door.

Groaning softly, I shuffle once again down the hall and open the front door. I'm surprised to see Jack standing on the doorstep in only a pair of shorts and covered in sweat. I take a step back to let him in, giving him a quizzical look.

"What happened to you?" I ask him, wrinkling my nose as the smell of him hits me.

"Nothing. I just went for a jog." He tells me as he closes the door and starts walking towards the kitchen. I follow in confusion.

"A jog? In shorts? It's cold outside." 

Jack takes a bottle of water from the fridge and downs it in ten seconds flat. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, he kisses my cheek quickly before walking out.

"I'm going to have a shower. Make sure you eat something baby."

"Well, that was weird." I mumble to myself. 

I take one more glance behind me to where he just disappeared to before going back to the microwave that just beeped. Once I've made my hot chocolate, I settle down in the living room with a blanket and a movie. I smile as the opening credits of Die Hard roll on the screen. I love this movie. I love all of the Die Hard films actually. 

Not long into the film, Jack appears fully clothed and clean. 

"Did you eat?" I just stare up at him from my position on the sofa biting my lip.

He sighs in frustration and leaves the room. With a shrug, I go back to watching the movie and soon enough I'm asleep.

I haven't been sleeping long when murmured voices wake me. I know I haven't slept long because it's a struggle to open my eyes.

"She always watches this film. She must know it off by heart."

"She has good taste."

"The only thing she doesn't have good taste in is eating."

I recognise the voices as Jack and Eliot. I'm thankful for him saving my life yesterday but why is here again? He's not stealing my house if that's what he's here for. Keeping my eyes closed, I sense someone standing in front of me and then the TV goes quiet. It must be Jack turning my film off. The controller is put down and then I feel the blanket that I'm wrapped in getting tugged higher up over my shoulders. I feel him kiss my temple before their voices leave the room. 

Knowing that Eliot is here, I can't fall back to sleep. All I can hear their muffled voices from the kitchen and although I'm exhausted, I reluctantly push the blanket off me and get up. I'm worried for my house. Stumbling towards the kitchen, still half asleep and rubbing my tired eyes, I find them both sitting drinking coffee and talking. 

Jack notices me first.

"Hi baby, you have a nice nap?" He asks extending his arm out to me. I lean into his side resting my head on his shoulder.