Werewolves Are Real [16]

Meredith

I remember when I was a child, my mother would tell me these bedtime stories. She would tell me about a young woman who fell in love with her soul mate the moment she met him. She described a man who protected his love with a fierce loyalty and treasured her like nothing else. I always fell in love with the stories as she told them, watching as her eyes twinkled with a sense of knowing. To me, they were just stories. They were like any other fairy-tale.

I liked fairy-tales. I read all the classics like Little Red Riding Hood, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs... But they were just tales. Magic wasn't real and happy endings weren't always guaranteed. As I got older, I watched shows like the Vampire Diaries and Teen Wolf. As good as they were, I knew things like that didn't exist in this world. It's just make believe.

But as I stand defensively on the sofa with legs like jelly and a cushion clutched in my grasp, I realise that maybe, just maybe all those things really do exist.

"Werewolves?! Are you crazy?!" I scream at the three people standing below me with worried expressions.

I would be a little worried too if a pregnant woman was screaming at the top of her lungs about werewolves while throwing cushions at people. Once I regained consciousness, I scrambled up from the sofa and took on my defensive position against all these crazy people.

"Mer, please get down from the sofa." Emily pleads softly with her hands raised in caution.

"No." I point at her. "You are a human. You have beautiful hair and soft pale skin. How exactly are you a wolf?" I stress.

"Meredith, I know it's a lot to take in but it's the truth. We're all werewolves. Remember the terms that Jack kept using, Alpha and Beta?" Eliot interrupts and takes a step closer to me.

I throw the cushion I have clutched to my chest at him.

"Don't move!" He sighs but takes the step back.

"Alpha means leader of the pack. I'm the Alpha. And the Beta is the second in command. That's Chase." I stare at him silently as I let it sink in.

Werewolves. Alpha. Beta. Pack.

Am I dreaming? Will I wake up and still be in the car on the way back from the cemetery? Oh god how I wish that to be the case.

"Remember the day you met me?" Chase asks as he sits casually on the coffee table like none of this is happening.

"Yeah." I mumble.

"When I introduced myself, I said I was Eliot's right-hand man. You were really confused when we laughed about it."

"Only because it wasn't funny."

"But you didn't understand. It was an inside joke. I'm literally his right-hand man as his Beta of the pack."

I frown at the sense it actually makes. I knew there was something behind that comment.

"The growling sounds we make is our wolves. Most of the time it's because we're angry, it's a natural reaction for us." Eliot continues.

I slowly sink to my knees as I go through everything in my head. Every little detail of my life since meeting these people. I think back to moments when it was just Eliot that I knew first. I lean into the cushions as images flash in my mind of the changes I noticed in Jack once Eliot appeared.