Heart To Heart [39]

Meredith

I follow Carter down the hallway with unease, not sure why he wants to talk to me. My very first encounter with him was a few harsh words and distrust. Not that I blame him, I didn't expect him to believe me about Sarah and Jack, he didn't even know me and still doesn't so I'm confused as to why he wants to speak to me alone. I can hear the voices of conversation from the living room as we pass it but Carter and I remain silent.

Carter stops at a door to the end of the hallway and opens it swiftly, pausing to motion me inside first. I murmur a small thank you as I pass him and step into some sort of office. It's all decorated in dark mahogany wood furniture, the desk and chair, the bookcases that line the back wall and touch ceiling to floor as well as the coffee table that sits between two sofas in the middle of the room. The only things that really stand out of place are the silver metal filing cabinets, the shiny silver laptop on the desk and the cream sofas. Everything else seems rather dark.

I stand beside the desk, not really sure what to do with myself and wait as he closes the door behind himself and perches on the edge of the desk. His striking blue eyes that don't seem to be as captivating as his brother's stare right into mine and I have to force myself not to look away. I need to break this silence, it's unnerving.

"What did you-" I begin but Carter interrupts me.

"I want to apologise for my rude attitude towards you before. I was angry at Sarah, not you and I had no right to speak to you that way."

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. He wasn't that rude. I don't expect him to apologise for it.

"It's fine. I didn't expect you to trust anything I said, you didn't know me. I only wish I had thought about it before I spoke. Eliot didn't deserve to find out that way."

"I've only ever seen him that angry one other time and that was when Charlotte was attacked. He really loves you, Meredith." I swallow hard and drop my gaze to the floor.

"I know he does."

"Then why are you still punishing him?" I look up at him in shock.

"Excuse me?"

He sighs, his features softening slightly.

"He's my brother Meredith. I've never seen him so broken up about anyone before. He's feeling guilty for the fight you had before the accident and then there's more guilt for the accident and the baby. He hates himself and I can't stand to see him like it. I agree that he was a complete arse and should have told you how he felt ages ago but he loves you and he's sorry Meredith."

"My baby is dead. Do you think I care about how he feels? What about how I feel?! That bitch runs me over and killed my little girl all because she thought I was stealing Jack from her. I hate Jack! She could have had him, all she had to do was ask and I would have gladly shoved him in her direction. I know that Eliot didn't kill the baby, it wasn't his fault but what he said to me... I don't know how to get over that. He didn't even visit me in the hospital, Carter!"

He rubs a hand over his face sighing tiredly. I roll my eyes and turn around to walk out but he stops me.

"I'm not excusing his behaviour, believe me, when Charlotte and I found out about what he had said to you, well Charlotte went mental. The only thing standing between her beating some sense into him was the miles apart they live. I was pissed too, I don't have a mate so I know how precious they are. He's lucky to have found you and he should treat you that way. But from what I've heard from my parents, Emily and Chase, you two were really made for one another. Not all mates work out. Just because they're fated, doesn't mean they can make a relationship work, connection or not."