His Devastation [29]

Meredith

"I'm fine Eliot, honestly. It was just shocking I guess." 

Eliot hovers over me worriedly, asking me every five seconds if I want to lay down or need some water even though I already have a glass. I don't blame him, I did pass out on him again. It's starting to become a regular occurrence. If I carry on like this, I'm sure Eliot will want to lock me up in our bedroom and keep me there until I give birth. 

"You blacked out again." He stresses as he sits down on the table in front of me.

"I know and I'm sorry for worrying you but it's just that note. It's the second one and it's the same handwriting. Someone is messing with me."

I watch Eliot glance down at the note that's sitting neatly on the table next to him as I take a sip of water. Eliot's mother is sitting on the sofa next to me, currently on the phone to her mate discussing the situation with him. Anthony is at the main pack house checking on his pack members but Claire assures me that he'll be home soon to sort this out. 

"It's not that hard to figure out who's doing this." Eliot grumbles under his breath, his eyes narrowing at the note. 

I want to disagree with him. I know he believe's it's Jack but it doesn't seem like Jack's style. The note was congratulating me on my baby girl but it was more of a warning. Now, why would Jack threaten his own child? He's wanted a child for so long, he was ecstatic when I told him I was pregnant. I just find it hard to believe that he would be doing this. 

When I remain silent, Eliot glances up at me with questioning eyes.

"What is it?" He asks softly.

I bite my lip, debating whether it's worth telling him what I think. I don't want to argue with him. He must notice my hesitation because he politely asks Claire to give us a moment and waits patiently as she leaves. Then he turns to me and takes hold of my free hand, his gorgeous blue eyes settling on me.

"What are you thinking?" I sigh in defeat and lean over to place my glass on the table.

"I'm just not so sure that this is Jack's doing." As soon as the words are out of my mouth, Eliot's once soft expression darkens. 

"Please don't tell me you're defending him." He growls, anger clearly shining from his eyes. He lets go of my hand causing me to frown. 

"Look Eliot, I know Jack has done some nasty things. He's been abusive, violent, he murdered my parents for heaven's sake. Of course, I'm not defending him but I can't see him threatening our baby."

"You mean you can't see him threatening his baby." I raise an eyebrow at him. 

Biologically, the baby is Jack's. I understand that. If someone did a DNA test then yes, the baby would be Jack's but Jack will never be a father to my baby. I want Eliot to be that person for my baby. I thought we had a silent agreement that Eliot was the baby's father, not Jack. He's the one that's been there for me during this pregnancy, not Jack. Hell, Jack missed my first ever ultrasound because he was selling my house! That shows how important fatherhood is to Jack.

"No. Our baby." Eliot chuckles sarcastically and stands from the table to move away from me. His back is to me as he runs his fingers roughly through his thick hair, creating a mess of waves. I watch him silently for a moment. His back is tense, I can see that even through the white t-shirt he's wearing. His shoulders are stiff and I watch him roll his neck to release some tension.