The Note [24]

Meredith

It's been a few days since Eliot stormed out of the kitchen at dinner. He apologised the next day to me, telling me that he was just stressed with trying to close the deal on all this land he's trying to buy before Christmas. I understood his distress but from the performance at dinner, it seemed to me that it wasn't the only thing on his mind.

I'm a little over 19 weeks pregnant now. I have an appointment with Amber on the 14th of December for my 20-week scan. Amber says I can find out the gender of the baby by then. I'm not sure if I want to know or not. Emily is certain that it's a girl and Chase really wants the baby to be a little boy. I haven't broached the subject with Eliot, fearful of the same reaction as before. 

I'm hoping though that he'll want to be at the scan with me. If not then I'll have Emily. She's already said she won't miss it for the world. She's so excited about the baby, maybe even more excited than me. I'm actually a little surprised that she and Chase haven't had their own child yet. They've been together for a while now and as she said to me before, it's a totally different type of love. I know they'll make great parents whenever the time comes. 

As Eliot has been quite busy lately with closing the deal, I've decided that today I'll do some online shopping for Christmas. I haven't really brought much for Christmas and I want to get Eliot, Emily and Chase some presents. After everything they've done for me, they deserve a present at least.

"Hey Em, can I borrow your laptop please?"

Emily and Chase are both sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast. Chase turns around to face me at the sound of my voice, smiling through a mouthful of eggs. I laugh and give him a little wave.

"Sure sweetie. It's in the living room under the coffee table."

"Thank you."

I wander into the living room and find her laptop where she said it was. I make myself comfortable on the sofa and turn on her laptop. 

I'm not sure what to get any of them really. Eliot is going to be the hardest one to choose for. I have no idea what he wants for Christmas. Emily is a little easier. We were shopping one day and she saw this gorgeous grey floral print dress and silver heels in a store window. It was quite expensive for the two items but I have money saved away so I'm planning to buy it for her. I'm not sure on what to get Chase but I was thinking something like a nice pair of cuff links. He does wear some nice expensive suits so it would be perfect.

I'm browsing through many different websites for ideas for about an hour or so before I hear a knock on the front door. I set the laptop aside and get up to answer it. When I open the door, I frown at the empty space in front of me. I'm pretty sure I just heard someone knock on the door so where are they? 

I step outside the door, hearing a crackle under my foot and glance down. There's a piece of folded paper on the door mat. I pick it up and open it.

"Who's at the door Mer?" I hear Em call out to me.

"Err... no one."

I study the two bold words written on the piece of paper. 

HELLO MEREDITH

What the hell? Who leaves a note saying hello to me after knocking on the door? I don't understand. 

I go back into the house closing the door behind me and take the note into the kitchen where Chase is washing up. 

"You heard someone knock on the door right?" I ask him. 

Chase nods with his back to me as he rinses off a plate.