Chapter 36

Ryder's POV

I open my laptop, and go into Google.

I type in what I needed, and clicked on one of the links. After going in and out of different sites, I finally found one that had Dawn's name.

"Terrible car crash in Alabama, caused by drunk driver, Kyle Finnick.

Kyle hit a car with two people, Delilah Rose (25) and Dawn Rayne (8) Falls. The family says it was Dawn's birthday, she turned eight, and her and her mother Delilah were on their way home. Finnick killed the mother, and severely injured the little girl."

I stop reading.

Her mom- Dawn's mom- is dead? That can't be right, she's never told me. Why wouldn't she tell me something like that? Why would she just act as if she isn't?

"Dawn had a severe stab wound in her torso, cuts, and broken ribs, hospitalizing her for weeks. She lost a lot of blood, but was able to be saved. Delilah was alive when abulances arrived, but died before they reached the hospital due to head injury, and severe blood loss."

I scroll down to see pictures of a woman with a man and two kids, one a little girl, and the other a boy that's maybe a toddler.

It doesn't take a genius to know it's Dawn as a kid with her family.

I smile a little when I see little Dawn. She's smiling, showing off her perfect pearly whites, while staring at the woman, her mom.

I look at her mom, and couldnt help but notice how beautiful she is.

But it feels like I've seen her before, and I know I haven't.

Then I remember a drawing Dawn drew. She said it was her aunt, but it wasn't. It was her mom. Why'd she lie?

I also notice how much Dawn looks like her now. She's like a spitting image.

I stare at the family photo. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose my mom at such a young age, and, even worse, on my birthday.

I close the laptop, a stare into space.

This explains why I've never seen her mother, and why Dawn is so... uptight about things. Could this be why she's mute? Why it makes things "easier" for her?

I understand why she would want to keep that a secret or not bringing it up. Who would want to remember such a horrific event? I can't help but wonder what other secrets this girl is hiding. If she can keep something as big as that a secret, imagine all the other things she's kept from everyone. One thing's for sure; I am going to figure out all of them.

I am going to figure out Dawn Rayne Falls.