Chapter 56

I glare at the small figure hunching over her desk, hooded head on her arms. The only thing giving away that she's not asleep is the stiffness of her body.

She's always tense, never relaxed.

Alert.

Like prey just waiting on a predator to pounce.

It's Thursday and we were in the middle of third period when she came waltzing in.

Well not really waltzing, more like hobbling. She had a limp. She always limps. Maybe there's something wrong with her legs? Some medical issue she hides.

Anyways, she hobbled to her desk, keeping her face down, and then put her head in her arms on her desk.

Maybe she's tired? Maybe she's upset? What if she's got another black eye?

The possibilities are endless with her. You never know with her. I can't even fathom the craziness that must go on in that head of hers. The quietest people have the loudest minds.

I glare at her because I can't help but want to stop this "avoiding her" act. I want to talk to her, read what she says, walk beside her. But I shouldn't. I shouldn't miss a girl like this. I shouldn't want a girl this much. I shouldn't care about a girl.

I shouldn't be giving a damn that she won't talk to me.

Maybe I just want to figure her out?

What if I just want to know her demons? I try to convince myself, though I know that's not it. I can't exactly explain why in attracted to her, and it is highly possible that I actually am just overly curious, but the feeling I get in my chest and stomach every time I see her tells me otherwise.

She acts mute, she hardly ever talks about her personal life, which makes this project pretty damn hard, she's always on edge..

She's hiding something, she must be, but what is it?

The bell rings, and she darts out of the classroom faster than I could pack my bag. I run after her, hoping to catch up, but the hallway was too crowded.

I just wanted to see that beautiful face.