Chapter 74

I knew school would be a pain for a while, given all the rumors and stuff. But nothing prepared me for what was going to happen today.

We walked into school together like we have been for the past few days. People were starting to get used to it, as the gawking finally started to cease. But it didn't stop completely.

"Hey, I have to speak to one of my councilors about some college stuff," Ryder says as we approach my locker, "I'm going to get Becca or Jenny to walk with you today."

"Ryder," I whisper lowly so no one could see me, "you don't have to, I'm fine by myself."

"No," he says flatly, "I'm sorry, Dawn, I don't mean to be so over protective, but I don't want Jessica causing any problems. She's got connections. Good ones. And she is pissed. I didn't mean to cause a mess like this that day, I just lost my temper and now you're her main concern. I'm sorry, but I can't have her harassing you, you've been through too much." He says softly. The guilt about this is eating him alive. Instead of arguing, I just nod. I like Jenny and Becca's company, and I don't feel like dealing with Jessica. I just wish they didn't have to go out of their way just for me. It makes me feel like a charity case.

He kisses my forehead, something he's done a couple times lately, and walked away after telling me they would be over here shortly.

Deciding to go to the bathroom first, I head inside.

But of course, my life is a hell hole with only a few short breaks here and there.

After completing my business, I open my stall door to see the very person we've been avoiding.

"You sure are a piece of work," she snarls. "Look at you! Taking advantage of Ryder, taking advantage of his pity for you! What, are you two dating now?" She backs me into the stall until I couldn't go back any further.

I just stare at her with wide eyes, not knowing what to do.

"He only feels bad for you, you know? You're a charity case, you're a pathetic piece of shit, he just takes pity on you!" She says, getting louder, "I mean, look at you! Not even you're mother wanted to stay with you!" She smirks evilly, her hands on her hips. I gasp loudly, in complete, utter shock.

How did she know? What does she know?

"Did I strike a nerve there, Dawn," she says, repulsed at my name, "didn't think anyone would know? Trust me, Dawn, I have my ways. And my ways are what get me what I want. When I want. How I want. And I will end you. I'm not letting you get away with Ryder publicly humiliate me for you. He's lucky I'm not pressing charges." She's only centimeters away from my face, her threats circled my mind.

Oh god, I'm going to be sick.

"Buckle up, sweetie. You're in for one hell of ride."

And with that, she turns on her heels.

Leaving me there with a racing mind, and a sick stomach.