Chapter 62

Alright y'all I finally have off day from work so I can use it to write an update. It's not edited or revised so I apologize for any mistakes or confusion that may occur. Enjoy.

Ryder's POV

"Okay," she whispers.  My lips stretch up at the fact that she trusts me enough to actually talk.

"Anything you want to talk about?" I dumbly ask.

"Well you're the one that brought us out here to talk, so I'd presume that you have something you want to talk about," she says a matter of factly.

"I often forget how fast you are to catch onto things."

She takes a small piece from her sandwich, and takes her time eating it.

"About the project," I start, "I get the feeling you haven't been completely honest with me about some things."

She looks away from me.

"Alright, well, is there anything you want to ask me or what a double check on?"

"I love your voice," I whisper.

"What do you do when you aren't in school?" I ask, deciding to slowly wiggle my way into it. Slowly draw out the answers that I need.

"Sit at the house and enjoy the comfort of my bed," she says as she takes another small bite. Her eyes involuntary close, like she's taking in every piece of flavor the sandwich has to offer.

"Is that all you do?" I continue.

"Mhm," she takes another piece.

I turn my body towards her a little and take a bite of my food. "Does your family ever go out? Have quality time together?" my eyebrows furrow.

"Not really, no. The only ones that are really at the house everyday are just me and the little bro since we don't have jobs," she replies as she look everywhere, at everything but me. Hm.

"Huh," I grunt. She always says mother and father. Now-a-days it's mom and dad. Mother and father is just so.. unemotional, if that makes sense. Like there's no connection. Just bland. You never really hear people call their parents that much. Especially when it's just about every time they talk about them. "You know, I've never met someone that refers to their parents that way. It's usually mom and dad. Daddy, even. Sometimes mommy. Or even ma. Never really father, though." He says. "It just seems.. impersonal. Like they're your father– the man that helped the woman make you– but not a dad."

I take a glimpse at her. She looked uneasy. She seemed struck by my words. I immediately felt bad.

I open my mouth, going to apologize, but the bell cuts my apology short. She very quickly got up, gave a thanks for lunch, and zoomed away.

It seems like I'm slowly putting the rest of the pieces together.

Is it true that your father isn't a good man, or are we just shooting too far? I'm not sure, but whatever it is, whether it's something happening now, something haunting you from the past, or a fear of the future, I will save you Dawn. I will figure this out one way or another. And I will rescue you from your secrets and darkness.