Chapter 65

Now
"No... no hospitals," I barely get out. I don't even think he could hear me.

"Dawn, you need help!" He exclaims.

"No," my eyes start to close.

"No, Dawn! Stay with me, stay with me!" He shouts frantically.

"No hospitals," I say breathlessly as I slip into darkness.

Earlier that day

I make my way into the school building. The bottom of my sweatpants slightly drag on the floor at the back of my feet.

I didn't want to come to school today. I just felt.. bad. Not in a sick kind of way, but in a sense. Like today just wasn't going to end well.

I head to my first class, but was interrupted by Jessica. Oh boy.

"Hey, loser!" She shouts at me, even though she's only a couple of feet away from me.

This earns some very unwanted attention.

She comes closer, glaring down at me.

"So, I've noticed that you," she flings her pink, manicured nail at me, "have been spending quite a lot of time with Ryder."

Yeah? So what?

I raise my eyebrows in a "are you kidding me" kind of way.

How many times do we have to go through this?

"It needs to stop," she just says flatly. Acting as if just by saying that means it was written in the Ten Commandments that I shall listen to whatever it is Jessica demands.

I just roll my eyes, and try to get through her and her goons behind her. As I push past, my shoulder slightly grazes hers, and I am immediately roughly shoved backwards.

But as soon as her hands shove my shoulders, my arms fly out and shoves her back. Everyone is watching as her eyes widen and she takes in a very overdramatic gasp.

And then she does it.

She squeals.

Loud.

Everyone winces, and looks at me in disbelief.

Really not wanting to deal with this any longer, I just ball my fists, turn around, and walk the opposite direction. Deciding to take the long way to class.

Getting there right when the bell rings, I take my seat. I ignore the few looks people are giving me.

Ryder is a couple minutes late. He sits in his desk, and as soon as the teacher gets to the front, ready to give his lesson for the day, the intercoms buzz.

"Dawn Falls, please come to the front office. Again, Dawn Falls, please come to the front office."

I let out a frustrated groan. What the hell is this about?

Ryder turns around and asks, "What's that about?"

I just shrug, bewildered. I have no idea.

I gather my things, get a hall pass, and leave.

Just as I walk out the door, I hear Ryder ask to go to the bathroom.

I stand outside the door, waiting for him. When he arrives, he just gives me a serious look.

"Is something wrong? Why are you going up there?"

"Ryder, I don't know," I say frustratedly.

"Well did anything happen this morning?" He asks as he walks with me.