~No Happy Ending~

I decided to try writing a Varro fic. There aren't that many out there...So please tell what you think...don't hesitate to comment, vote or send me a message. You can even come and stalk me on Tumblr now...same as it is on here...look forward to you following me...

Lucretia requested Naevia to bringa jug of honeyed wine to the house. Her purpose was of deadly intent,she would see Varro depart from this life. She wanted the Gods tostrike him with pain and suffering. She watched from the balcony ashe and Spartacus celebrated the rain. Her daughter had took apaticular liking to him, he would watch as she gazed upon his form ashe trained with the other gladiators, a small blush would grace hercheeks, his eyes would catch hers for a moment and then return to histraining. She was very displeased with this, her daughter Claudia hadalways been wild, she had resisted the charms of many well suitednoble man. But she must learn that position is the only thing thatmatters.

She considered Varro to be nothing morethan a distraction, an obstacle needing to be removed. She had sentAshur to procure a potent poision that would send one to theafterlife when ingested. She smirked as she saw Naevia approaching.

"The wine Domina" she says bowingher head
"Gratitude, Naevia, now go and see to it that thegladiator Varro is scented and oiled and brough before me."Lucretia waves her hand dismissing her.
"Yes, Domina" she saysbefore leaving Lucretia to it.

Claudia was walking through the villawhen she saw Naevia leaving the main room.

"Naevia" she calls out

"Yes, Domina?" she answers
"Youmay call me Claudia" Claudia tells her

"Yes, Claudia" she nods bowing herhead.
"I've left something for you under your bed" shesmiles.
"For me Dom- Claudia?" Naevia smiles
"It'ssomething that will aid in true loves purpose" shesmiled.
"Gratritude" Naevia says before leaving Claudia tocontinue the order of Domina.

Claudia takes a deep breathe,straightens her lavender shift and begins to walk towards the mainroom when movement draws her eye to the corner where she finds Ashurlurking.

"Ashur" she says sternly
"Apologies Domina,I have received confirmation of the matter which we discussed" hesaid his tone low.
"Then you shall be handsomely rewarded, go tothe village and seek out a man they call Albinus he will see youpayed. But if you betray me you will be slaughtered like the dog youare" she warned
"Domina" he bows with a bitter look in hiseyes.

Claudia straightens her spine andapproaches her mother with a false smile.

"Claudia, my dearyour just in time" Lucretia cheers.
"In time Mother?" shequestions
"Yes" Lucretia nods her smile not reaching her eyes.

"Ah Varro" she cheers

Claudiashead snaps to the direction of the blonde gladiator, he smelled offragrant oils, his tan skin glistened accentuated his muscular form.His blue eyes remain passive until they meet with Claudias, a briefflash of emotion before resuming their passive state.

"I brought you up here to present youwith gift" Lucretia says gesturing to the empty clay cup.
"Gift,Domina?" his eyebrow quirked up.

"Yes, a gift to celebrate your winwith Spartacus" Lucretia says.
"Gratitude Domina" he sayswith a small smile

Claudia was lost in her admiration of Varrowhen she felt a prescence beside her.

"Domina has poisonedhis drink, she seeks to send him to the afterlife" Naevia harshlywhispers in her ear.

Claudia quickly glances at her Mother whohad emptied a whole vile of poision into Varro's wine. She takes bothcups and offers one to Varro who takes it.

"To victory"Lucretia whispers before turning the glass up to her lips.

Claudiasaw Varro begin to do the same but she quickly walks to him andstumbles knocking the glass. She fans herself for amoment.

"Apologies, I took too much sun today" sheapologizes spearing her Mother with her gaze.
"Naevia pleaseshow Claudia to her room" Lucretia says through clenchedteeth.

Naevia loops an arm around her waist when she see'sLucretia pull out a small dagger. Varro's concerned gaze followedClaudia. He wasn't aware of her Mother withdrawing the knife fromit's sheath and walking towards him.

Claudia breaks free ofNaevia's grasp grabbing Varro by the shoulder and somehow swivelinghim till she was in front of him just as Lucretia lunged with knife,piercing through Claudia back. Claudia and Lucretia both screamedout.

Varro's eyes widened as he caughtClaudia's wounded form in his strong arms, blood quickly staining herbeautiful dress.

Lucretia stared in horror.

"Fetch the Medicus, QUICKLY"Lucretia yelled.

Naevia ran from the room.

"Claudia" Varro said his voicebreaking.

He lowered her to the ground andcradled her dying form to his chest not caring about the bloodstaining his skin.

"Varro" she gasps out
"Do notleave me" he whispers out tears falling from his eyes.
"Hearthe words I speak, before I leave this life I must tell you...You area free man, your debts have been settled, you can join your familynow" she smiled
"You know not what you speak" he tellsher
"I sent Ashur with coin to settle them, added was a smallamount to procure food and shelter" she says her smilefading.
"What moves you to do such things?" he asked his handcradling her cheek.
"Because, my heart belongs to you and onlyyou" she tells him.
"Save strength, Medicus arrives" headvises her.
"I care not for Medicus, let me not depart thislife without feeling your lips on mine" she begs with tears in hereyes.

Varro sniffles and presses his lips tohers gently, she strokes his cheek weakly before her hand falls away,when his eyes reopen her eyes are fixed towards the sky hercomplexion pale.

"Till we meet again" he whispers beforelaying her down and standing up.

"This was your fault, fetch Doctore"she instructs the guards
"Apologies Domina, but she arranged itall, with notes of agreement. It is legal and cannot be undone"Ashur informs her.

Lucretia releases an earth shatteringscream of anguish, Varro glances at her before walking down the stepsto the gate where he was met with Doctore.

"Good news" heasks as the guard unlocked the door.

"Poorly received, but I'm a free man"he smiles sadly.
"Claudia?" Doctore questions
"No longerwalks in the life" he shook his head
"Apologies, she will bemissed" Doctore told him.
"Yes, she will" Varro agreed.

The End