Chapter 3

"The box came in kinda late which is very odd so I've gotta show you around quickly," Alby explained, "The Glade is divided in four parts: Bloodhouse, Gardens, Homestead and Deadheads."

Alby pointed to each of the buildings. I nodded showing him that I understood the information. Alby and I started to walk around.

"Every glader works everyday," Alby continued, "We have the Builders, Bricknicks, Sloppers, Baggers, Cooks, Track-Hoes, Med-Jacks and Slicers."

We got closer to one of the openings and I saw two males running back to the Glade. Why did they run back? They're not supposed to be here. What if... it's a job?

"What are they?" I asked while the two males ran closer to Alby and me. Both males were covered in sweat. One of the guys were blonde and the other one caught my eye. He had jet black hair and was Asain. He looked over to me but he jogged away.

"They're Runners," Alby replied, "Anyway, the Builders build our buildings here. They make sure it's safe and it won't fall. The Bricknicks help the Builders, they tie or cement the materials of the building together. Sloppers, they change the bedsheets in the Homestead and make new Hammocks if one breaks down. Baggers collect any dead animals and depose them. Cooks make our food. Track-Hoes grow our vegetables and cut out stumps. Med-Jacks heal us if we are ever injured. Last but not least... Slicers. In the Bloodhouse they feed our animals and once they have enough meat, they slice them."

I flinched a little. Man that is a lot of information. Alby took me to a building that was built high up. He started to climb the ladder.

"I hope you're not afraid of heights." Alby told me as he kept on climbing the ladder. I followed him and we were on top of the building.

"This is the Watch Tower," Alby explained, "Before I let you go off and roam around the Glade, there are only three rules. One. Everybody does their part, we work all day, everyday. Two. We don't hurt another glader. Three. Don't ever go beyond these walls. Ever. You hear me?"

I nodded and I heard pots banging together. I looked down and I saw a child carrying pots.

"Heya Alby!" He smiled up.

"Hey Chuck." Alby waved.

"That our new Greenie?" He looked at me and I smiled down.

"Need help bud?" I giggled while looking at all the stuff that he is carrying. Chuck looked at his hands and nodded. I climbed down the ladder and I took most of his stuff from his hands.

"I just have to bring this to the Cooks," Chuck said while walking, "I'll introduce you to Frypan!"

I smiled, "Sounds like a good plan."

We walked to this small building and Chuck opened the door. It was a small kitchen. I saw a few males that were cooking some food. Then I saw a man with overalls... maybe that's Frypan?

"Hey Chuck!" The overall man greeted him and taking the pots.

"Hey Frypan!" Chuck replied, "This is the new Greenie. She still hasn't remembered her name yet."

"Well she's gonna remember it sometime. Oh let me take those from you." Frypan took the pots from my hands and gave it to his workers.

"I'm Frypan, Keeper of the Cooks." He said.

"What's a Keeper?" I asked him.

"Oh Alby didn't tell you?" Frypan seemed confused, "Well a Keeper is like the leader."

I nodded. Why do I have to know all of this? This is a lot of information.

"C'mon Greenie, let's get your Hammock set up for tonight," Chuck and I walked out of the small kitchen and saw these small buildings that had no door or walls. It only had a roof with poles holding it up.

Chuck grabbed a cloth, rope and some wood. He had so many things in his hands he dropped it but luckily I was there to catch it.

"Thanks Greenie," Chuck smiled at me, "So did Alby tell you about the bonfire?"

I shook my head.

"Well we always have a little party for the Greenie," Chuck explained, "It's tonight so you better be there."

I nodded and I started to help him set up my Hammock. After a few long minutes we finally finished. I high-fived him and I saw some black hair in the distance. It's that Runner guy.

"Hey Chuck." He greeted him with no smile, just a straight face.

"Hey Min. Why'd you walk over here? You're supposed to be in the Homestead." Chuck seemed confused.

"I just wanted to ask if you know when Frypan is serving his meal." He asked the little child.

"That's a weird question that you'll ask me," Chuck still seemed confused, "You always ask Frypan. Oh yeah and this is the new Greenie, way out of your league."

The boy looked at me, "Name's Minho, shank."

Shank? Is that another word for Greenie or-

"Hey don't be rude!" Chuck yelled at him.

"Fine," Minho sassed and walked away.

Chuck sighed and he walked to his Hammock which was by mine. He laid down and closed his eyes. Why would they let the child work? I mean that's just... ugh, I feel like a mother now. I sat down on my Hammock waiting for a conversation.

"Good luck by the way." Chuck spoke out.

I looked at him with a confused expression on my face, "Why do I need the luck?"

"You might be mobbed by the gladers."