He's The Expert

"alone..." Maya and Lucas were staring into each other's eyes, leaning in closer and closer when *KNOCK*KNOCK* Maya pulled back and sat on the couch and Lucas went to answer the door.

"Riley! HI!" Lucas was shocked.

"Hey, I was a little worried. You didn't answer my text about Friday and I guess I- Peaches? What are you doing here?" Maya hesitated to answer and when words did come out of her mouth, she stuttered. "Please tell me you guys aren't--"

"You caught us!" Lucas shouted. Maya looked at him with her eyes widened. "We're planning out your surprise party..."

"Yeah, we wanted to keep it a quiet, so we've been planning things out in secret for the past week. Please just act surprised!" Riley's face was filled with relief when she heard the half-truth coming out of her best friend and boyfriend's mouths. 

"I will Peaches! Anyway, Lucas you coming for dinner on Friday?" Riley asked. 

Lucas looked back at Maya who was looking at the ground and the ceiling and the wall, pretty much everywhere except in their direction. He stumbled over his words, "Actually--"

"He would love to!" Maya answered for him as she interrupted.

Riley smiled and tilted her head slightly to the right, "GREAT! See you on Friday. And how's this?" Riley made a surprise face, "Oh my- you guys are the best!" she said over-exaggerating.

Lucas and Maya smiled awkwardly and raised their hands in a thumbs up. Riley smiled, gave Lucas a kiss on the cheek and left. Lucas closed the door and turned to Maya, "What'd you do that for?"

"Why not? I should go..." Maya said.

"Maya-"

"NO! You don't get to pull me into a bunch of drama! We kissed, okay! Riley doesn't have to know, and it's never going to happen again!" Maya said, sticking to the point.

"Maya-"

"I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow." Maya ran out and left Lucas alone. Maya knew she couldn't hide this from Riley. She hated keeping secrets from her. 

[Bay Window]

Riley was sitting in her window, thinking about nothing when Maya climbed through, "Peaches! Wait aren't you supposed to be planning my party with Lucas?"

"Riley, we lied to you... Well we are planning you a surprise party but I wasn't there at that time to plan anything. I was there to yell at him for what he did in class and then-"

"Oh god..." Riley's eyes flooded with tears and her breathing became heavy.

"We kissed Riles..." Riley held back her tears in order to appear strong. 

"I'm not doing this again! The triangle ended for a reason! He chose me not you! It's that simple and you need to back off!"

"Riles?" Maya didn't recognize her best-friend.

"He's my boyfriend. He chose me, not you. Obviously, I mean either way he would've chosen me right?"

"Why are you acting this way?"

"I'm done Maya! He chose me and obviously you can't stand that so you can either get over your feelings or leave me alone forever!"

"I- you- Wow Riles!" Maya's jaw was clenched with anger as she spoke. "Fine! I'll leave but before I do, you should know that I didn't kiss Lucas, he kissed me. So if anyone has leftover feelings, he's the expert..." Maya left out the window and Riley's angry, clenched jaw turned softer as it shook from her sadness building. She threw herself under her covers and sobbed herself to sleep.