In That Second Her Life Was Changed

"What?" Lucas couldn't believe the words that just came out of his _-mother's mouth.

"He broke the law! Maya is only 16. If we lived in Canada, it would be a different story but age of consent in the U.S is 18. Josh broke the law since he is an adult and she is a minor and they had sex." Lucas was almost happy at the news.

"So he could go to jail?" Lucas asked trying to hide his smile.

"Who could go to jail?" Maya asked as she came out with test in her hand.

"It can't be done already!" Lucas' mother insisted.

"It's not. Another minute and a bit." Lucas and his mother nodded. "So who could go to jail?"

"Josh..." Lucas answered.

"WHAT? WHY?" Maya asked snapping with concern.

"Well if you're pregnant then it's with his child." Lucas' mother explained.

"Yeah... so...?" Maya asked.

"He slept with you, a minor, which makes it illegal..." Lucas explained.

"What if I'm not pregnant?" Maya asked.

"He still broke the law babe..." Lucas explained trying to contain his smile.

"Well I don't care! I wanted it to happen so it shouldn't matter!" Maya retorted.

"Why do you care?" Lucas asked disappointed.

"Because I loved him! He was a huge part of my life and I lost my virginity to him! I've already lost Riley, I can't lose him too!" Maya argued. Lucas hated that Maya was right. *da-da-ding* Maya's timer on her phone chimed. "Time to check the test." Maya said chocking on her words. She peered down at the test in her hand and in that second, her life was changed.

"So...?" Lucas asked.

"It's negative!" Maya cheered. Lucas ran over and hugged her while twirling her around the room. "Lucas put me down." She said calmly.

"What's wrong?" Lucas asked nervously.

"I need to both to promise me, you won't say anything that will get Josh in trouble."

Lucas' mother stood up from the couch, "sweetheart, I don't kn-"

"PROMISE ME!" She snapped with tears in her eyes. "Please! I can't lose him too!"

"Have you been talking to him?" Lucas asked.

"You saw me with him today..." Maya replied.

"Before today?"

"What if I did?"

"What were you talking about?"

"Riley. And how hard everything has been."

"But you couldn't talk to me about it?" Lucas asked wounded.

"Lucas, you had to deal wit-with Parker!" Maya stuttered. "And why do-does it matter if I talk to Josh."

"You know what? You're right!" Lucas said sarcastically, "Forget about it!" Lucas brushed past Maya and stormed off to his room.

"Lucas!" Maya sighed as shook her head in disbelief at the ridiculous argument she just had with the guy she loved. She sat down on the couch and buried her head in her hands.

"I know this probably isn't the best of times but what happened between you and Josh, shouldn't have!" Argued Lucas' mother.

"Mrs. Friar, please! I truly loved him and I know it wasn't the best idea but at the time it felt right! I didn't know it was illegal and I don't care! Please! I'm begging you!"

"I can't promise you anything, Maya." Maya's eyes clouded with tears and she ran out of the apartment sobbing. "Maya!" Lucas' mother tried to run after her but by the time she got outside, she couldn't see which way Maya left.