I Know Who I Have To Choose | Part 3

Maya was pacing back and forth while Lucas' leg was bouncing up and down annoyingly fast. Waiting impatiently for news on Riley and Parker. Maya's eyes had been tearing up the whole time but had just started to let go. Lucas grabbed her hand and guided her to sit on his lap. "Come here..." He said breathy and empathetically. 

"How are you so calm?!" Maya asked sobbing. 

"It's killing me, but I'm keeping a brave face because somebody has to." Lucas replied calmly. Maya sighed and wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder as she sat on his lap. The doctor came out and Maya and Lucas practically jumped out of their skin as they jumped out of their seat. The doctor came out with the surgical mask still over her face. Maya and Lucas couldn't stand the patience and tolerance it took for waiting to see what expression was hidden behind it. A smile, a frown, a whatever! It was killing them. The doctor walked over to the two and removed her mask, her face wasn't smiling or frowning. It was neutral. 

"The baby was born and put into ICU, you can see him if you would like." Lucas was smiling. Maya, however, was antsy.

"What about Riley?" The doctor inhaled quickly and sharply. 

"We did everything we could, but there was a lot of internal bleeding..." Maya collapsed and broke down. She was down on her knees, praying to wake up from the nightmare that was this day. 

"NO! NO! NO! IT HURTS SO MUCH! I CAN'T DO THIS! I HATE THIS! I HATE EVERYTHING!" Maya felt completely and utterly destroyed. Lucas sat on the floor and held her, holding back his tears, trying to be the brave and composed one but it couldn't help Maya. Her best friend was gone. 

[One Month Later]

Lucas had been visiting Parker everyday in the ICU since Riley died. He would speak to him about her all the time. Maya had been locked away in her room since she found out. She barely ate, she couldn't sleep, and never stopped crying. Today was the day of Riley's funeral and everyone was going; including Josh. At that point, Maya didn't care if Josh saw her with Lucas, she needed him there or she wouldn't be able to get through it. She finished her makeup and hair and went into her closet. She slipped on the outfit she had chosen the day before. Maya didn't really care, the only thing she paid attention to was her friendship ring. 

She peaked at the mirror one last time as a tear rolled down her cheek

She peaked at the mirror one last time as a tear rolled down her cheek. In the background, she could hear the sound of thunder rumbling in the skies. "Lightning," Maya whispered as she sat on the edge of her bed and sobbed. 

[The Matthews' Apartment]

The funeral finished and they made their way back to the Matthews' apartment. Cory, Topanga and Auggie were greeting everyone at the door and Maya was sitting in the bay window. *KNOCK*KNOCK* "Hey Hart..." Josh muttered.

"Hey Josh," Maya replied sadly.

"What're you doing?"

"It still doesn't feel real!" Maya said breathy. "I still feel like this is all a bad dream and any second she's going to wake me up with 'Good Morning Peaches!'. I keep thinking back to the ho-hospital" Maya's voice cracked and broke as she began to cry. "I never got to say goodbye or even see her wakeup. I was too busy with my own damn drama! God, what is wrong with me?!"

"Nothing, you're perfect!" Josh insisted.

"I am NOT perfect!" Maya chuckled in between sobbing.

"Yes, you are..." He muttered.

"You really think so, don't you?" Maya smiled. Josh nodded his head. He leaned in but Maya stopped him. "I can't..." Josh leaned back and nodded his head in disappointment. "I- I chose Lucas... I'm really sorry."

"If he makes you happy, who am I to stand in the way...?" Josh leaned in and kissed her cheek gently and sweetly. He stood up and walked towards the door. "Hey western hero." Lucas walked in.

"Umm, hi."

"Congrats. You're a very lucky guy." Josh said looking back at Maya.

"I'm pretty lucky." Lucas said smiling. "Hey, I'm heading out to see Parker. You wanna come?" Maya smiled and nodded. She stood up and grabbed onto to Lucas' hand and they walked passed Josh. Maya looked back at him and smiled.

"Thank-You" she mouthed. Josh smirked and nodded. 

[A/N]: SO THAT HAPPENED! I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS WRITING SO I JUST WENT ALONG WITH WHAT EVER CAME OUT AND THIS IS THE RESULT. THIS IS THE END OF THE "I KNOW WHO I HAVE TO CHOOSE" PORTION OF THE BOOK AND THE NEXT COUPLE CHAPTERS ARE GOING TO FOCUS ON PARKER'S LIFE AND MAYA'S RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM. THANKS FOR READING! HOPE YOU GUYS ARE ENJOYING IT...