Chapter 34

Edited : 13-01-2017

It's saturday, the day of the qualifying. Also, the last free practice. After yesterday, we need a good practice and we'll have a good weekend so far. I sit down and see an extra seat. I look at Christian.

"Maybe your friend likes to join you for today as well, we want to give her the best days" Christian says and that makes me smile. I walk up to a guard.

"Could you maybe get the girl on Gold 2, seat 1 row 1 for me please?  Tell her Jasmin asked for her" I tell him and he nods with a smile. The guard walks off and I take my seat behind the screen again. The last free practice starts in 10 minutes, and I hope Jamie makes it on time, so I have time to explain things to her.

Sure enough, 7 minutes later, the guard shows up with Jamie, who looks confused as hell. She does smile to me when she sees me. I take my headphones off for now to greet her. Christian turns around and greets her as well, which makes Jamie a bit nervous, but Christian soon turns his attention back to the screen. 2 minutes. I hand Jamie headphones and her eyes widen.

"You get to stay with me for today as well, if you want to" I tell her, before putting on my own headphones. Jamie nods and takes her seat, putting on her headphones.

"So, I don't have much time, so I'll quickly explain some stuff. You'll be able to hear everything that is being said through the radio. You can only talk to me, though, not to the team or Max. You can ask me anything during practice and I'll try to answer everything as well. I don't have much time to explain the screens, just have a good look and if you want to know something, you can ask me" I explain as I see the timer has started for the last free practice. Jamie just nods, as she probably figures I have to concentrate. I see Max's car leaving the garage and I point to it, so Jamie sees it as well.

"That's Max" I tell her through the headphones. She starts smiling.

"He is going to start practicing qualifying laps and then some long runs, but not to much, as we want to focus on later this day" I tell her, as Max is doing his outlap.

"Yeah, I kind of figured that as well, as he has to qualify later" Jamie answers and I nod. I turn my attention to the screen.

Max starts his first time lap and I look at his sector times, which are really good. In the last sector, they're not quick enough with the blue flag, and Nasr keeps him up. I see that he lets go of his lap time.

"God damnit, he wouldn't move" I hear Max's voice over the radio. He sounds really annoyed and I understand why.

"I saw, Max. Try to set another lap time, the sector times looked great" I tell him. I look next to me and Jamie's attention on the screen, but she looks confused. I point to the screen, catching her attention.

"These are the sector times, do you see the purple one in sector 1? That means he was fastest in that sector. If the times turn yellow, he's slower and if the times turn green, he's faster than he was in a previous lap" I explain and Jamie nods. I see Max starting his second lap. This time, his sector times aren't purple, but they are green. I look at the times already set and see Rosberg has put on the fastest time, with fastest sector times. Max sets the third best time, behind Hamilton.

"Lap time is 1.21.643, Max, third position for now" I tell Max. He doesn't really respond, but just tries a few more laps, but none are as fast as the one he set. After a few laps, I think he should just do some long runs.

"Okay, Max, time for long runs, box now, please"

"Copy" Max answers his radio call. I made sure that I talked through the team radio as well, so I don't have to talk directly to Marcel. I already see the team running outside with different tyres. Max then goes out for his long runs.